• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by CBirch

1. C

Monyhull Hall Hospital Resident

Hi Radiorails, i was born in Brum but have been in Canada for 50 years. My aunt was a home child who was sent from Brum to Canada in1920 by Barnados homes. there is a site in Canada called British Home children which has great details of the kids who were sent here, including ship passenger...
  2. C

Hope Street School Birmingham

My wife and her siblings lived in St Lukes road in the 1950's and attended Hope street school. Her maiden name was Eunice McConnell and she was there with her cousin Nina Mohammed. She mentioned Margaret Ali among others. Anyone remember them?
  3. C

Lennox Street

Hi Lloyd, thanks for the info on the fire in Lennox street. The person who is mentioned in the newspaper clipping with my sister Carol was Mrs Irene Caulkin so you are on the right trail for sure. The two kids who died were named Salmon and the fire was in a terraced house in Lennox street...
  4. C

Golden Hillock Road School

Hi Pete, my family lived in Sparkhill and Sparkbrook between 1911 and 1958. There was an uncle named George who eventually moved to Tyndale road, Tyseley. He worked at the SERCK radiator if I recall correctly.
  5. C

Lennox Street

I just noticed that the newspaper clipping is from the Evening mail, so I guess that would be the Birmingham Evening Mail. Are there archives online for this newspaper up to 1967/8?
  6. C

Birch Family. Related To Trotman And Tropman

Hi Maurice, we lived in Dolphin road, Sparkhill, just off St John's road and near Warwick road. I went to Percy road school in the 1950's. We had relatives all over the area between Stoney lane and all the way down to Tyseley. I did have an uncle Jack (John) who was born around 1892 or so and he...
  7. C

Lennox Street

Thank you very much for trying to find info on this. I thought that the Birmingham library might have a newspaper archive but as we live in Canada that is a problem for us. Hopefully, someone will remember this incident and post online. thanks again for looking.
  8. C

Lennox Street

Hello all, I am a bit off topic with this post with a very sad incident but it is worth a try anyway. My sister was with an other young woman who tried heroically but in vain to rescue two children from a fire in a terraced house in Lennox street, Lozells sometime around 1967. My sister was...
  9. C

Birch Family. Related To Trotman And Tropman

Any relatives out there, my Dad was Charlie Birch and we lived in Solihull, Yardley and Sparkhill
  10. C

The Fighting Mortons

A.E Morton was my grandfather Alfred Edward Morton, he was married to Florence Foster and as far as I know was a moulder by trade. He was 32 when he was KIA. I dont think he was one of the "fighting Mortons mentioned,his father was also named Alfred,
  11. C

Courtyards and yards of brum

Hello, does anyone know of or have pictures of Russell square, Angelina street please. Thanks. Charlie
  12. C

C & A Modes Corporation street

Hi, I worked there from about 1966 to 1968, in the dispatch deparment. Eunice McConnell.
  13. C

Robert Normansell Limited Exeter Street

Attached is apicture of Exeter place. In the right hand corner of the picture you can see a brick building wiht a slit window in the wall. This was the back corner of Normansells main factory
  14. C

Christine, see my replty to this thread. Charlie
  15. C

Normansells had two buildings, the main 3 story one was on the corner of Windmill street and Exeter street and the passage ran around the back and into Ernest street.This building had lacquer shops and polishing equipment and also the offices. The other building was on the opposite corner of...
Back