• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by canonvela

1. canonvela

Brass Knobs

We are on the Erdington edge of Sutton. The deeds take us back to 1869 but we have reason to believe that the house dates from the 1820s. It has links with Thomas Gibson, the chap who put John Baskerville's body on display in his warehouse when he bought his house on Easy Hill and demolished...
  2. canonvela

Brass Knobs

When digging out the floor of our house to lay a new one we found that it had been bedded on what can be best described as historic industrial waste. In amongst the stones and rubble were pieces of mother of pearl that had holes where buttons were cut from them, and a lot of plaster moulds. The...
  3. canonvela

Sutton Road Erdington: large houses and their residents

Oh, and a copy of that 1953 data would be very helpful. I have a spreadsheet of the owners picked from census, register and directory information but the most recent information gets a bit sketchy. Tim
  4. canonvela

Thanks Tim. That is absolutely brilliant. I had intended to start releasing the story of the road as a series of articles at the end of last year but held off because I needed more photographic references and access to the library has not been possible. I am putting a computer model together...
  5. canonvela

Ames, Stokes & Stevens Of Hanley Street

An interesting thread. I am currently putting together a history of the large houses and their occupants on the Sutton Road in Erdington that were demolished to make way for the Lyndhurst Estate. Henry Stevens, son of Joseph, lived at Fairlawn later known as Normanhurst in 1891, listed as a...
  6. canonvela

An interesting thread. (Edit. The following posts were moved from another thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/ames-stokes-stevens-of-hanley-street.47169/page-2. This thread has been created to focus on Sutton Road). Viv. I am currently putting together a history of...
  7. canonvela

Turner Brothers Toolmakers

Later this month I will be doing a LoveArchitecture walk about Emett's Birmingham that will feature the Turner Brothers premises as that is where Rowland Emett was working when he found fame as a Punch cartoonist and learned many of the engineering skills that would help him to build his amazing...
  8. canonvela

Thomas Siviter Smith

Hi All I too would be most interested to hear anything about the Siviter Smith family and the Process engraving company Siviter Smith. We are organising a large exhibition of the work of Rowland Emett in the Gas Hall at BMAG this summer. He worked at Siviter Smith until 1939 when he moved to...
  9. canonvela

Turner Brothers Toolmakers

Does anyone know anything about Rowland Emett's time at Turner Brothers during WWII, or have a copy of the wartime souvenir brochure with the aircraft illustrations?
  10. canonvela

'Mail' Cars 1903

I am looking for information about cars with the marque 'Mail' that were allegedly produced in Birmingham in about 1903. I know absolutely nothing beyond this so any leads would be welcome.
  11. canonvela

Universal Engineering Co

I now think that the Company I am after is the Universal Trading Company. They were at 55 Dale End in 1901-1902 and imported American motorcycles. The Company was owned by George Augustus Albert Bennett. I know nothing more so any information gratefully received.
  12. canonvela

Universal Engineering Co

This is an exercise in the obscure: There was a business called the Universal Engineering Company that had premises in Dale End. Allegedly they built cars there between 1914 and 1916. Does anyone know anything whatsoever about this Company?
  13. canonvela

Dallison Gearing And Motor Company Ltd 1913

The Dallison Gearing and Motor Company Ltd were in Summer Road, Erdington - but where? Any info gratefully received.
  14. canonvela

Autocrat Light car Company

Found it. And the factory building still exists. It is surprising how many of the original pre-war car factories are still there - if a little messed around with.
Back