• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by BUMBELLINI

1. BUMBELLINI

Witton Road

Amazed at your memory Don!!...I can't remember the names of anyone who lived nearby....but I seem to remember buying that car from, I think, Pete Smith - Jeans husband - for £45....I'm sure Jean may know better than me??
  2. BUMBELLINI

Witton Road

The first photo on #37 - looking down Witton road - just past Sacred Heart Church Tower on the right - is where I lived, and it looks like my car, a Standard Ensign, outside the house!....bet I couldn't park it there now?...
  3. BUMBELLINI

Stretton Road Aston

Hey Lyn - where would we have been without the number 8?....I think all my family members lived somewhere along it's route! - and, with no cars, I think they must have planned it that way!! Dave.
  4. BUMBELLINI

Stretton Road Aston

Romana - the views of Stretton road were taken during the demolition, which was around 1991-2. The first photo is a view from the corner of Rocky Lane looking into Stretton road towards the "L Shape" on the left.....on that corner was a shop which, during the 40's-50's, was a Grocery shop...
  5. BUMBELLINI

Stretton Road Aston

Romana - I believe the Stretton road was demolished in about 1992-1993 - I was born there and lived there until about 1959 - I took my Mom on a visit in 1991 as she had been told that they were renovating the area! -the street was full of painters and decorators, gas and electric vans and it...
  6. BUMBELLINI

Friends of Aston Hall and Park

Hey Astonian - When I was growing up, Aston Park was the centre of the universe - never really knew the history of Aston Hall at the time, but it was a great place to hide in for tracking!!! - I know things change but when I go there now the little kid in me is saying "I want to go in there...
  7. BUMBELLINI

Bull Street

My first job was at Barrows in 1963 - the main shoppers entrance was in Corporation St but, I think at that time, the entrance in Bull St was for goods only - Barrows had all different food departments - Greengrocery, Cheese, Meats, Bakery etc - but the main thing I remember is the smell of the...
  8. BUMBELLINI

Wasn't aware of that Jennyanne? - for the past few years, when I've had the occasional walk round every couple of months, I have only ever seen it as it is now - headless! - seems to be just pointless vandalism - thanks for letting me know.
  9. BUMBELLINI

As most of my childhood seemed to be spent in Aston Park, I have to go and visit the place occasionally just to have a walk round - always dissapointed by the fence that surrounds most of Aston Hall - and the fact that Pan still hasn't got his head back!!.....any chance??
  10. BUMBELLINI

Missing photos (as a result of Forum hacked 2011)

Nice to be back to normal - well done Warren
  11. BUMBELLINI

Handsworth Technical School

I was at Handsworth Tech. from 1958-1963 - Brilliant days, loved every minute - we were the first intake at the new Crathorne Ave School - the headmaster at the time was a Mr Mends with Mr Lewis as his deputy, I remember a lot of the teachers mentioned previously, Osborne, "Jackie" London...
  12. BUMBELLINI

Various street pics

Great pictures Lyn...so much to look at..you can't beat the Black and White photo's....thanks.
  13. BUMBELLINI

Witton Road

Hey Mollie - sorry to say that Bunce doesn't ring any bells - in fact I don't remember the names of anyone who lived round me I'm afraid - sorry - Dave.
  14. BUMBELLINI

Witton Road

It was Brian Smith, Jean, Peters brother, last saw him, I think, at The Old Oscott club when he retired a couple of years ago - Billy was there too along with many friends and relations - I knew Pete as well but hung around with Brian mainly - I've known him for many years - from the early Lion...
  15. BUMBELLINI

Witton Road

Hey Mollie - I lived in Witton rd, No 93, just down from Sacred Heart, for about 12 years - from about 1961 - don't remember the names of any of the neighbours but I worked at Lovell's on the corner of Lodge rd and Witton rd, for a while, delivering groceries on a Saturday morning and a couple...
Back