• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Bryn Meurig

1. B

Soho Road Handsworth

Yes, Alan's sold linen and curtain fabric/nets. My Mum often browsed there, but found it more economical to buy at the stall at the far end of the market. This has reminded me of how she would unroll a small bale of material and then measure out the yardage by the distance between her nose and...
  2. B

Soho Road Handsworth

I grew up just off Boulton Road, Handsworth and there was no pub or bakery anywhere along there. My grandfather was a regular at "The Boulton" pub, but this was on the corner of Victoria Rd. and Nineveh Rd, Handsworth. I think you may mean Bolton Road in Small Heath. There's a picture of the...
  3. B

George Ellison and Tufnol

I am often reminded in some way that it is a "small world" in which we live! Your post and the following one were a blast from my past, as my father, Gethin Davies, also worked at Ellisons, (I'm guessing, at about the same time!), but is was an unlikely meeting with George Ellison himself which...
  4. B

Foundry Road Infants School

Lyn, I've only just come across this post, and don't know whether you're still in touch with "Shirley". My grandfather also attended Foundry Rd. School in the early 1900s, and as part of my teacher training in the 1970's, I had to interview someone who was at school at the turn of the century...
  5. B

Harry lucas school

Thank you all for the information. Thinking back (50 years!), I remember a couple of friends of mine at King Edward's, Handsworth, had been taught by Audrey, and I think they used to say that they'd been at "Farm St. School", but I wasn't sure because schools were often referred to by the name...
  6. B

Harry lucas school

I don't know if I've got the right school (Harry Lucas), but a lady I knew taught (infants?) at a school in Farm St. in the 1950s and early 1960s. Her name was Mrs Audrey Haden (or Hayden?). She lived in in Perry Barr, then in Sutton Coldfield, her husband was an antiques dealer and they had a...
  7. B

Handsworth

Don't think so.....Burton's became a "Sari" shop - fabulous colours!. Littlewoods was next door (towards Baker St.) and became the first supermarket on Soho Rd, then next door was a funny little single storey shop (tobacconist?) then "Englands" shoe shop with an arcade like frontage.
  8. B

Holyhead Road

I grew up just off Soho Road in the 1950s, but didn't remember the school at all. However, I have just Googled "Woodville Private School, Holyhead Road, Handsworth" - found quite a bit of information for you, and it jogged my memory, too!
  9. B

comet pub hodge hill

Although I grew up in Handsworth, I knew Gordon Bird - his daughter, Jaqui, was a close friend at school, and I often used to visit their flat above the shop. I can remember how hard working (and very beautiful) Mrs. Bird was, and that Mr. Bird enjoyed a pint! I know Jaqui went away to...
  10. B

Soho Hill

Re. the milestones: I grew up just off Soho Road, and regularly passed the milestone near to Milestone Lane - logical that the lane was so named because the milestone was there? Presumably, this is the stone reported to be at Holyhead School. I also passed the milestone outside Dennison's at the...
  11. B

Hockley 1957

Nice to hear from you, Astonian, but I'm afraid I didn't know the boys you mention. The place you describe is exactly where I remember, and I sure it was Ford St, although trying to find it on a map recently, I wondered if it was Heaton St. What do you think? I only know it from visiting my...
  12. B

Back to Back houses today

I can remember these, but not so clearly as the ones a little further into Icknield Port Rd. My grandfather's brother and his wife, Howard and Ida Aston (she was actually Myrham Divinia! - what a name!) kept a little grocers/sweet shop along there in the 1950s - I think it was the fourth 3...
  13. B

Teasdale - Llanrwst, Sheffield, Walsall and Sparkhill (ca. 1837 - 1960).

Sorry I can't help with the Walsall and Birmingham connections, despite having a Brummie mother. However, my father was a Llanrwst man, and during my own family history research, I have found the Llanrwst and District Historical Society to be helpful. You can find contact details here...
  14. B

'Orse Road

My Great-granfather also was a carter at Curzon street, but I believe on one occasion, he took his horse and cart home for the evening! I've already posted this on the thread for "Victoria Road", but I'll copy part of it here for you: I grew up in Haseley Road in the 1950s and 60s, and my...
  15. B

'Orse Road

As did my Great-grandfather, Tom Farrell. I still have one of the old shoes off his carthorse - hung on the garden wall the "right way up", to catch the luck (according to my Mum!)
Back