• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Brummiebell

1. B

Witton Road Butchers in 1892

Thanks for that Rob, this is getting really spooky because I used to work in Witton road in my early 20's and I recall that shop on the left then was a kind of grocers and we used to pop in there for supplies in our breaks. I had no idea that my Great grandparents had a shop practically...
  2. B

Wow, that's fascinating, Harry often used his wife's name Tonks as they weren't married and she and their children always used Tonks. Did they live above the shops do you recall and what was the Rat Pan?
  3. B

Hi Radiorails sorry to be so thick but which thread?? sorry but clicking on the underlined on just brings me back to my own. I'm not very technical I'm afraid.
  4. B

That is so interesting, and thank you for the tip about the publication dates I hadn't thought about that. Do I take it that they published the directory every two years? If so any idea how I can find out if he was in the 1894 edition so was trading there in 1893 before George Bagnall took it...
  5. B

Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the above. I believe that my great grandfather Harry Short (sometimes known as Harry Tonks) was a butcher with an establishment on 211 Witton Road in 1892. Don't know much else as he is a bit of a mystery man (not actually married...
  6. B

The Royal Oak, Barn Road

Hello Janice, Mile and Astonian, thank you so much for all your help in my search, I am learning so many new pieces of Rose and Harry's life. It looks as if I can almost plot their lives via the various pubs and establishments they ran throughout Birmingham. I certainly didn't know that Rose...
  7. B

The Royal Oak, Barn Road

Thank you for that info Alan, I wonder how long my Aunt and her husband ran it for and if they were there until 1955, have you ever heard of the Grubhams by any chance? He went by the name Grubham and they had children one of which, a little girl, was involved in an accident involving a dart and...
  8. B

The Royal Oak, Barn Road

To Lynn and Mike Thank you both so much that is fantastic, the only thing I could come up with was the Crown which was in High street so I was going round in circles, I will take a look at the site you mention. How wonderful that it is still there, I must go and visit it when I next get to...
  9. B

The Royal Oak, Barn Road

Hello, wonder if anyone can help me. I just found a electoral roll from 1925 which lists my great Aunt Rose as living at a public house in Barn Road Deritend with her husband Henry Grubham however I can't work out if the pub is called the Rose and Crown or the Royal Oak as it says both on the...
  10. B

The Duke of Cornwalls War diary

Dear Bewdley That is wonderful of you to send me as some of those poor soldiers would have signed up with Walter,I would have thought, as they have consecutive numbers. I have often wondered if he was in some kind of Pals regiment or just joined up with his friends. When his brother William...
  11. B

Hi Janice Of course, Presumed dead, I thought it said pronounced!!! I am really so thick.Do you think the first line refers to money in his pack which he had left behind, and the second perhaps pay owned? maybe the figures refer to pounds shillings and pence? Best wishes Maria
  12. B

Hello Steve. Thank you so much for that, I think I agree, it is far more likely that he was killed in action as his family placed adverts in the Birmingham Gazette up to a month later searching for him as missing in action. Surely if he had died in a hospital they would have known for sure what...
  13. B

Dear janice Thank you, so so much that is super and will be such a help, how very sad though, so few affects to show for his nineteen years Why didn't I find this when I was on Ancestry? You are so kind and very clever thank you
  14. B

Hi Bewdley, thank you so much for that. So, if I am reading that right the 1st DCLI became the 95th brigade with the 5th division and so I am looking at the correct diary. Also may explain why I could find no mention of them. I think it mentions an attack at 3am but lists it as 22nd and I...
  15. B

Oh wow Haven't seen anything for him on ancestry, that is definitely him, his mother was Rebecca and they often wrote the name wrongly, that is the first time I've ever seen an effects list. I assumed as he was classified as missing no effects were found, perhaps this was money owed to him or...
Back