• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by BrumMack

1. B

John Whybrow Photographic Collection

The old photo of Moat Row, the open air Smithfield Market, including the steam tram, appears in the Warwickshire Photographic Survey, where the photograph is attributed to Thomas Lewis.
  2. B

I read somewhere that the John Whybrow Collection was recently taken over by the Birmingham Library. However, I can't recall the source, so this needs corroboration.
  3. B

The photographer for the older of the Old Crown photos was Joseph Pickering.
  4. B

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

This was Longdon Hall. It was also the residence of the King Edward's Aston's Headmaster. Longdon Hall was is no longer used by King Edward's and last I heard it was a special needs school.
  5. B

W Wort, photographer, Oscott

6. B

The Square Old Square

Trolley Bus OV 4002 entered service in 1931 and was withdrawn in 1940.
  7. B

New Street City Centre Birmingham

Does anyone know anything about the source of this document? Is 'Charles Radclyffe, Birmingham, 1840' its title and publishing date?
  8. B

This photo is by Ben Brooksbank and was taken in 1957 looking down New Street from its junction with Stephenson Place. In the distance you can make out what looks like the scaffolding on the front of the old Hyam's building, prior to its demolition. (Source geograph.org.uk) (Usage rights...
  9. B

Kingstanding

The original Kingstanding opened on 6 October 1933 and was closed in 1965. Its successor opened on 26 September 1966. I don't have the actual demolition date. Hope this helps.
  10. B

This is a view of New Street from its junction with Worcester Street looking towards the junction with Corporation Street. There was a Pattinson's at No.7 New Street which would be on the right of New Street. So this might be a Pattison's delivery.
  11. B

Chamberlain Square Statues....?

Did we confirm the identify of the seated statue that is in the background? He seems to have been there for several decades.
  12. B

Princip Street...Newtown

Princip Street was named after the Princip family, who were local landowners from around the mid-18th century. (Source: 'Birmingham Street Names' by Joseph McKenna, 1986).
  13. B

Union Street

Is this the Wright's bakers you worked for as they are today?? http://www.wrightsfoodgroup.com/
  14. B

High Street Birmingham

Yes. No.26 is on the east side of High Street facing the junction with New Street.
Back