• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Brownowl40

1. B

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

clubs I remember - and went too!! the Cedar club - saw U2 there before they were famous Snobs Maxwells Faces Peppermint place Rum Runner Locarno Romeo and Juliets The Dome Libertys Bobby browns and loads of groups live at the Odean on New street
  2. B

Record shop favourites in birmingham

Does anyone remember Baileys records in the Bull Ring indoor market???
  3. B

I remember Pimms pets as I worked at Baileys in the 1970's
  4. B

The stall in the Indoor market was Bailey's records and I worked there in the 1970's
  5. B

Wilmott Breeden, Stirchley

My mum worked at the Brush factory called Lens/Lengs in 1954
  6. B

face`s five ways 1980`s 1990`s

Loved Faces - wish I was there now. Any one remember Ray, black guy who was fab at disco dancing???
  7. B

The brownie guide pack of birmingham

As a child I went to Brownies at St Oswalds road church in Small Heath. I know there was also Guides there as my sisters attended. My Aunt Doris Poole was a captain in the guides in Kings Heath. As an adult in the 90's I helped at st John's Rainbows and when that closed started rainbows at Perry...
  8. B

the cedar club

Remember seeing U2 at the Cedar club with a group called Fashion - late 79/80??? Remember talking to the group afterward - days before they became megastars! Anyone else remember this gig?
  9. B

Army Service Corps

Hi I am trying to find out more about a relative in the army service corps. His name is thomas Besford and I can only find his medals card on Ancestry. Can't desipher what medals awarded and what for. His rank was driver and number T/364464. he lived at 7 brearley street. Has anyone any other...
  10. B

Wheeler family

11. B

Wheeler family

I'm trying to find information on Susannah Wheeler, my great great grandmother who brought up my grandmother when her mother died. I know on the 1911 census she is posted just as Mrs Wheeler and my grandmother as C Cotton. I also know a Thomas Carr lived as a Boarder with them and he was a...
  12. B

William Withering

Can i just add that William Withering was born in Wellington, Shropshire - now part of Telford. There is a plaque showing his birth place in the market square.
  13. B

Marine stores Brearley St

Thank you for this. After a bit more digging we believe that our great grandmother married this chap. In the 1911 census he was a boarder who was a carter. We think he must have been a rag and bone man but this is just a guess given the nature of the trade.
  14. B

Record shops in Bham

Hi I don't think they have a stall anymore as I went to the new market but couldn't find the record shop. shame it was not continued as I know they put a lot of effort into the business. I remember Johns father - we called him Mr B - seemed to work forever and the two boys Richard and...
  15. B

Record shops in Bham

Hi that's right. Paul and John ran the shop for ages then I think Paul left but don't know why. I remember the pet stall and the handbag stall near to it. opposite was a stall selling hardware. only seems like yesterday....
Back