• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Brianbrum

1. B

Town or City

I don't know what it's like now, I haven't lived there for 3o years but it used to feel like a town
  2. B

Town or City

Yep Sat shopping with mom and auntie ' up town ' or meeting my mates or a girlfriend it was always called uptown
  3. B

Rookery Road School Handsworth

Hi clive not too good with modern technology so I can't see the picture yes I remember you very well as we were in the same class all through school if you remember a scruffy little urchin (and probably not too wholesome!!) Then that was me (Brian Shaw)
  4. B

Lewis's Department Store

5. B

Lewis's Department Store

Oh yeah do you remember coming out of the clubs for the night service home standing outside Lewis's with everyone eating baked spuds! They were fab!
  6. B

Lewis's Department Store

Yep all good fun until one of the staff got theirhand down your coller and frog marched out to the minories!!!
  7. B

Lewis's Department Store

Just noticed some txts on Lewis's in the late 50s early 60s my grandad Alfred "Bade" Ainsworth used to work the lifts there I always marvelled at how he stopped it right on the button!! If I timed my visit to coincide with his break I used to get a cup of tea and a cake in the canteen! It all...
  8. B

Crown And Cushion Pubs Perry Barr

Hi remember the place very well played there a couple of times myself in 67 and my mate had his reception there happy days
  9. B

Rookery Road School Handsworth

Too right they were bullies I remember them having shortened canes which they used to carry down the inside of their trousers, I think their main problem was when it changed to a mixed school they just didn't know how to control them so they took it out on the boys instead
  10. B

Villa Cross Cinema

1958 - 1962 Richard I was supposed to stay another year but mom took me out of school to get a job
  11. B

Villa Cross Cinema

What a coincidence Ray Coxon my music teacher from William Murdoch school lived round the corner in Wye Cliffe Road
  12. B

Villa Cross Cinema

Yep Radnor Road same building as one of your other forum members Richard Dye, I've also spent more than a few hours standing outside the Villa Cross pub playing with any other kids whilst mom and dad had a cheeky bitter inside!!
  13. B

Villa Cross Cinema

Sorry I still can't get the hang of how to post these things, just been reading about and looking at some fabulous photos of the Villa cross picture house, me my brother and sister used to go there every Saturday morning 6d in and 6d to spend!!
  14. B

GEC WITTON WORKS

Hi my nan Jessie Ainsworth worked there in the 50,s early sixties but don't know when she left or what dept she was in
Back