• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Brian inKent

1. B

Memories of a Birmingham Musician (Drummer)!

Yes I remember Sparky and his magic piano - with its moral but then I'm in my late seventies!
  2. B

Coffee Bars:

I remember both Kardomahs New Street and Colmore Row, Sombrero and the Venitia all in the fifties. I also went to thr Museum cafe on saturdays after work 12 noon. Great memories. I worked in Prudential buildings the lift went down into the kd.
  3. B

tobaconists New St/Corporation st junction

Finlays I fink.
  4. B

Birmingham Jazz Alive & Well

Dennis ran the Swing Shift jazz club and gave me my fist break there as a modern jazz trumpeter. I met many good musicans there and got some paying commercial gigs. I kept in touch with Dennis and when I opened my first jazz club - the Central Jazz club he gave us free publicity with write ups...
  5. B

Canterbury Road Canterbury Cross Schools

I went to Canterbury Road from 1943. I lived in Jardine Road Aston, having been bombed out in New Street Aston. The only teacher Ivan remember was Mr Chapman (headmaster?).
  6. B

Jazz Clubs

Yes. Sorry to hear he has died. But my connection with B'ham jazz was in 50s and 60s so I suppose most of the guys from then are old like me or passed.
  7. B

Jazz Clubs

Mike Jones,John Dickinson and me, Brian Latham owned the Central Jazz Club and others in Birmingham including Piccadilly. I recall the great nights at the latter with Ken Colyer. I played at the Swingshift a modern jazz in the 50s. The resident band at the Central was Nick Williams Central...
Back