• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by BOBJ

1. B

Ogwen Cottage Mountain School, Bethesda

I was there from 6th April 1964 for 2 weeks, sent by my school Sparkhill Boys Secondary School which was previously Dennis Road School. I had a good time and learned a lot. Ron James and Tony Mason were there as instructors and we had a visit and talk from Chris Bonnington the famous mountaineer.
  2. B

Brunswick Club, 464 Moseley Road

Hi Barry, have found a 1953 Christmas party photo, dated on the back as Birmingham Post January 1954 cheers Bob
  3. B

Brunswick Club, 464 Moseley Road

Hi Barry, these pictures bring back childhood memories for me born in 1949 , on picture 33 with spotted tie is my uncle Dave Bennett who was a long time member and lived in Clifton Road, behind him is Les Jeavons who lived in Wenman Street father of Alan who was a friend of mine. Dave and his...
  4. B

Garretts Green College

As a follow up to the 2 great photos of the GGTC staff, here is a photograph of our ONC Block Release Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, (BREME) from either 1967 or 1968. A few in the picture including myself had previously completed C&G at Garretts Green. I have very fond memories of the...
  5. B

Haddon and Stokes Digbeth

Hi Bob, if there is any room, I would like to join you all on 10th Nov, I have tried to come before but something always got in the way, regards Bob James
  6. B

Group photos

These are some of the final year BSc. Mechanical and Production engineering students (post exams) University of Aston approx May/June 1973 on the steps of the Students Union.
  7. B

Dennis Road Secondary Modern Boys School

Hi Derek, are you the Derek Smith that was involved with Dennis Road and Carnegie boys club mountaineering club? regards Bob
  8. B

Hi Graham, I have only just seen your post, I must admit the naming of the famous press operator made me laugh out loud, what an education we had (engineering and life). I did not attend the free off site advanced course which she regularly offered. I remember your name but cannot put a face to...
  9. B

Kensington gardens

Hi Two what a great picture, much earlier than I remember in 50's and 60's but much the same, although no fancy lamps. I would say from where the camera was backwards towards Balsall Heath Road was all gone due to bombing apart from about 4 houses next to the road, the rest of it was our...
  10. B

RIP PHIL

Sad news, I never met him but we messaged a few times, a fellow Dennis Road boy and ex Balsall Heath resident RIP Phil
  11. B

Hi Bob, I remember John Munroe, I think he was works manager at Smalls and ended up running the tool room at H&S, certainly way above my pay grade. I worked for a lovely guy when I was there called Charlie Gough who was like a kindly granddad figure, he was a charge hand ( there is a title from...
  12. B

Hi Bob, I was an craft apprentice from 1966 to 1969, I did off the job training at Garretts Green and worked at W H Small, went to the Heath Street Training school for a while and was in maintenance at H&S. I still have my log book from the Training School signed by Tom Hobourn and complete with...
  13. B

Wilkes and Godwin

Hi Sweeney todd, thanks for the reply, at least I have found someone who worked there, at the time you mention I think my father would have been foreman of the polishing shop, so maybe as a plater you would not have come across him, thanks BobJ
  14. B

TEETH OUT AT THE CLINIC

I attended the School Clinic in Sherborn Road, Balsall Heath in the late 50’s at about the age of 10. This was an old Victorian ex school building not far from home. This clinic delivered all sorts of treatment to the local poor kids, as you entered you were hit by two things, the sound of...
  15. B

Birmingham Public Swimming Baths

Hi Spargone It’s interesting to see your width certificate from Moseley Road baths, I went there from Mary Street School and with my friends. I recall having a free pass (I certainly don’t have a copy now) and I can’t recall what you had to do to get it, swim some distance I guess. What I can...
Back