• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Bob M

1. B

Harry's Motor Spares Springfield B11

yes Len, looks like Druckers is the sole survivor on Google Earth Street view, its not any longer the Springfield I knew, nor is the city centre, new Bull Ring. ughh !!! Bob
  2. B

Of course there were other shops etc in those days, VA Luck the timber yard half way up the Shaftsmoor Lane hill on the left going towards Acocks Green, and I think next door was a small garage/petrol station. Another of my "memory landmarks" was the hardware shop on the left hand side of...
  3. B

Does anyone remember this shop ? just on the right as you came onto Stratford Road from Shaftsmoor Lane, opposite the College Arms Pub just before the River Cole Bridge. I used to go there for tools etc even though I had no car, a motorbike instead! He was a mine of information and nearly...
  4. B

Toy/Model Shops City Centre

Oh yes thats right Bernie, Vicarage Road was where Godwins were, Priory Cycles was the one I was thinking of. I (at least my parents!) bought my first racing cycle from there in about '69, a "Falcon Gnat" claret frame and blue mudguards, very apt considering my football leanings!! (say no...
  5. B

Yes I remember Bobs Models, just forgot where it was!! Also I used to go to Shirley Models that was up on the parade of shops on the right just past Haslucks green lights, on Stratford Road. (there was a great cycle shop up there as well, was it Tommy Godwins ? or am I mistaken ? probably!!)...
  6. B

I remember going to Horntons Corner in the late 60's when my parents bought me my first "Airband Radio" which enabled reception of the Air Traffic Control at Elmdon (in those days!) Compared to the gear I have now, it was pretty basic, just a tranny with a bit more coverage on VHF!! I still...
  7. B

Railway Roundabout

Super pics!!, especially the 2F taking on water in the last photo, looks like the Harborne line, with the locos shed plate reading 21E which was Monument Lane.
  8. B

Cambrian Steam Train

They do look a bit like Hurricanes at a distance, there is one Tucano that was painted in ww2 camouflage last year to mark the 70th anniversary of the Battle Of Britain, so maybe it was that one!! Machyynlleth is within a low flying training area used by the RAF and USAF, nicknamed "The Mach...
  9. B

Cambrian Steam Train

Actually the Planes on your pictures are "Shorts Tucanos", The RAF use them to train pilots. mind you I can see the likeness !!
  10. B

Suffolk St

Hi folks, a Brummy ex pat in Bournemouth here, the "shed on a gantry" is actually a "Goliath Seam Crane" , the shed being the crane operators position. The whole gantry travelled on rails, whereas the loads could be traversed along the gantry, to enable transfer of heavy goods between trucks or...
Back