• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by BirminghamLynda

1. B

Auxiliary Fire Service

Yes, the Copes are my family.
  2. B

Bombing Brum

Best, Barbara 22/11/1940 12 Grove Avenue, Katie Road Best, Joseph 22/11/1940 12 Grove Avenue, Katie Road Best, Phyllis Margaret 28 22/11/1940 12 Grove Avenue, Katie Road 23/11/1940 died at 12 Grove Avenue, Katie Road Best, Robert 22/11/1940 12...
  3. B

Bombing Brum

What the site looks like now courtesy of Google Earth
  4. B

Auxiliary Fire Service

My grandads name is on the above list.
  5. B

Auxiliary Fire Service

Interesting thread. Grandad was in the AFS killed with twin sons on November 19th 1940.
  6. B

Clifton Road Aston

My dad attended Clifton Road School in the 1930's.
  7. B

Where did you live

Born in Bournville then moved over the railway into Stirchley.
  8. B

Bombing Brum

Do you know the name of the farm in Earlswood? My uncle owned a farm there. He's passed away now, but the family still own it. This is the sort of thread I'm interested in, very interesting. As I think I've said elsewhere, my granddad and twin uncles died in November 1940 during the blitz. Lots...
  9. B

Bombing Brum

The three Copes are my granddad, and my twin uncles. They saved my moms life by throwing her under a table, but got killed themselves. The space where their house stood is still there, never built upon. My mom and nan would never speak of it, it was all too painful. Now I wish I had known much...
  10. B

Bombing Brum

Has anybody got any info on the night bombings of November 19th 1940 in the Stirchley/Selly Oak area, particularly St Stephens Road? I have hit a brick wall on research. Thanks
  11. B

Coalman

The photo is of the Coal office in Frances Road, Cotteridge where my dad worked for thirty years. It's now a private residence, and by chance I just found it on Rightmove, for sale... This place hold many memories for me.
  12. B

Coalman

I've come to the forum, and thread late, but interested in this thread. My dad was a coalman, worked for Henry Lloyd, between Stirchley and Cotteridge. He started out with a horse delivery, and the horse knew the round by heart. One day dad came out of a delivery, and the horse and cart had...
  13. B

Robert Normansell Limited Exeter Street

I worked at Robert Normansell in the small office. Around 1967-69
Back