• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by BilboC

1. B

Sun ray treament

Re: sunlamp treatment I also remember going to Sheep Street clinic for the sunlamp treatment followed by an infra red lamp treatment then into the gym to excercise, remember climing up the ropes to the ceiling. I believe the treatment was to ward off ricketts which was common in inner city areas.
  2. B

NewSt Station 2015

I think there is a basic misconception regarding the new station. The platforms only change in as much as the old waiting rooms and any other spaces that are not required will be removed to open up the platforms as much as possible, obviously with new ceilings and lighting. Where the light...
  3. B

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

I remember the last song played at the Alhambra was always Eddie Holman, 'Hey There Lonely Girl'!
  4. B

NewSt Station 2015

I was under the impression the route was from a new terminal next to Moor Street Station to London St. Pancras where the link is to the channel tunnel where HS1 runs, now a stopping train as there were not enough passengers I assume.
  5. B

NewSt Station 2015

Rail progress? If you are following the debacle that is HS2 , when questioned and put under pressure the correspondent said that following the 'successful' implementation of HS2 the number of trains from New Street to London will be 3 an hour as opposed to the current 7? Now that's progress, it...
  6. B

NewSt Station 2015

I'm not aware there have been any claims of increased train capacity only of improved passenger capacity and experience.
  7. B

City Centre Photographs

Vivienne, I seem to recollect that the floors above the ground floor were the Birmingham Law Library, the ground floor used to be a Building Society, but I can't remember which one.
  8. B

BBC Great Train Robbers... programme

They were also 'wrong road running' which would have been highly unlikely on the WCML.
  9. B

the cross guns.washwood heath

The pub was demolished and rebuilt further back as part of the clearance for the new dual carriageway which had been on the drawing board for about 30 years, then everything changed and they de-trunked the road (A47) when they built the new road from Chester Road through to nowhere because they...
  10. B

Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

Ward End Hall first opened in September 1958, I started there in Sept 1959 ex Leigh Road Junior & Infants, I dont remember a Douglas Lambie though!
  11. B

NewSt Station 2015

A couple of points, if I may. Yes, a massive mistake in the planning in the late 50's and implementation in the early 60's, especially when you look at Manchester; Liverpool; Leeds and more recently St. Pancras where they retained their original train sheds and refurbished them, wonderful in...
  12. B

Alan Tucker - member of this forum

Sad news indeed. RIP Alan.
  13. B

Monkey Run

14. B

Snow Hill Station

Sadly not, as I stated, just the other side of the Gt. Charles St. bridge and the next stop in Bull Street, there have been several approaches by ourselves[KPMG] and the managing agents Savills on behalf of the owners of the building and what we are told is that the area in your photograph is...
Back