• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by BigJohn

1. B

Zephyr sewing machines

Can anyone help with this query? I have a sewing machine sold by Universal in Hurst Street Birmingham in the 1960's. A Zephyr model. I read somewhere that they were made by BSM. I would think that it would be Birmingham made as we did everyhting in those days. I don't belive that it would have...
  2. B

Birmingham Cinemas

I worked part time in 1960 a couple evenings as an usherette at the Clifton. It was run by a married couple who came from the Bristol area of Clifton to open and run it. The name was their choice.There were two ladies who sold tickets and sweets in the foyer. They stayed for years. While I was...
  3. B

Mother and Baby home Moseley

I was in Belle Walk M&B Home. August - November 1962 Yes you could just go and take your baby with you. IF you had somewhere to go. Lucky for me my Mom decided to take me back with the baby. Dad had left us some years before so it was not easy for her to cope with the shame that I took back with...
  4. B

Thomas Wilson Palmer

That is what is shown on the register. There is another word in brackets but I cant' make it out. Lander is an addition but the word in brackets isn't.
  5. B

Thomas Wilson Palmer

Freda Lander (Palmer) b 14 Feb 1934 15 Perry Street Wednesbury.
  6. B

Thomas Wilson Palmer

Would the 1939 register be helpful? She must be on there. Avril.
  7. B

Thomas Wilson Palmer

If you are a relative the adoption agency may help you. Official records are private.
  8. B

Greys Department Store

Thank you.It was lovely to see one again. Takes me back so many year to things that I had forgotten about.
  9. B

Greys Department Store

I bought my wedding dress and bridesmaids material there too in 1963/4. I made my own head dress as the ladies on bridal wear helped me and advised me on how to make it. That was kind of them. Miss Stock (Buyer) didn't know of course.
  10. B

Greys Department Store

I remember Jean. She was a tiny little thing always very anxious about her husband. She would sit with Phil Hazel Me and a respected lady we called Mrs P I think who worked in one of the other offices. I saw Mrs P(?) once much later briefly she was coming out of the HR office looking very...
  11. B

Greys Department Store

I was Brenda. I was in the Cash Office will Phil & Hazel. I remember a Brenda but not where you worked. I was Avril Dixon then (using my hubbies membership)
  12. B

Greys Department Store

Just came across this so sorry it's a little late. I was there in the 60's. On the 'Floor' and later in the Cash Office. Where were your people working then?
  13. B

Pubs of Hockley/Newtown

Well thank you. I must tell my friend Margaret about it all.
  14. B

Pubs of Hockley/Newtown

I think that the Landlords name was William Underwood and wife Violet so may not be the same person. Them Underwood got about a bit! Thank you for the research anyway.
  15. B

Pubs of Hockley/Newtown

This is the one. She was soooooo happy today. Thank you. If anyone has any info on the time of the Underwoods we would like to have it please.
Back