• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Big Gee's latest activity

• B
    Big Gee reacted to RobT's post in the thread THESE TRYING TIMES with Appreciate Appreciate.
    I'm sharing this message it is not me, but showing how urgent the present situation is THIS IS URGENT - PLEASE READ! I’ve just come to...
  • B
    Big Gee replied to the thread Mom washing the doorstep.
    Way, way back in the early Fifties when we lived on The Broadway, an elderly man knocked the door one morning to ask Mom if she'd like...
  • B
    Big Gee replied to the thread THESE TRYING TIMES.
    Talking Pictures TV is on Channel 81 and shows (mostly) British films from the past 85 years (seriously). A lot of them really aren't...
  • B
    Most TV is indeed crap, pardon the expression, but last night I watched 'Rambo - First Blood' which I haven't seen for years. My wife...
  • B
    Big Gee replied to the thread Soho Road Handsworth.
    It was me who wrote about the 'girl I later married', but she worked at Dudley's Furnishings and I met her in the late summer of 1968...
  • B
    The Barrell - that was the pub I used occasionally. Not The Bull. G
  • B
    Big Gee reacted to A Sparks's post in the thread Soho Road Handsworth with Appreciate Appreciate.
    I can see where the Frightened Horse was (is?) but I can't bring it to mind, the pub I remember best was The Barrel.
  • B
    Big Gee replied to the thread George Dixons Grammar School.
    Lisle 'Toffee' Sharp was far and away my favourite teacher at GD. 90% of my dear classmates were bored stiff with English and English...
  • B
    ASparks - I remember your shop. If I remember correctly, I think I bought something, a shirt maybe, from the men's outfitters. I never...
  • B
    Big Gee reacted to A Sparks's post in the thread Soho Road Handsworth with Appreciate Appreciate.
    @Big Gee I had a Saturday job at the sort of market/ grocery place a few doors down from the newsagents on the corner of Soho and...
  • B
    ASparks, where did you work? The girl I later married worked in accounts at Dudley's Furnishings, and I spent probably the worst year of...
  • B
    Just saw on the box that Boris has been tested positive for COVID! True democracy at work! G
  • B
    Big Gee reacted to oldMohawk's post in the thread THESE TRYING TIMES with Appreciate Appreciate.
    Life under lockdown .... :)
  • B
    Big Gee replied to the thread George Dixons Grammar School.
    I agree - there certainly were some duff teachers at GD, but I expect the same went for most other secondary schools. Certain teachers...
  • B
    Big Gee reacted to Harry Flashman's post in the thread George Dixons Grammar School with Appreciate Appreciate.
    For me, GD was a real eye opener. From the outset, we first former’s were treated to the ubiquitous indoctrination speeches that we...