• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by bettyboo1923

1. B

Uniform c1915

Many thanks to everybody who helped with my questions. Very much appreciated x
  2. B

Uniform c1915

Many thanks. Really appreciate all the help, you’ve given me. X
  3. B

Uniform c1915

Thank you. I found an 1871 census with a William J Fox living with brother Thomas and his family, together with his wife all living in I think it was Wortley. Is this the same as you found?
  4. B

Uniform c1915

I am on Ancestry.co.uk but cannot find the marriage or the 2 census you refer to. Are you able to point me in the right direction please? x
  5. B

Uniform c1915

That’s really interesting. I know that 'John' had at least one brother but you have now set me thinking if he was actually William John but went by the name of John. God, I'm now more confused than ever, but that would make a bit of sense if he had married but then went away and married again...
  6. B

Uniform c1915

John is a complete mystery to us! Nobody knew that he had been married previous to Emma. If I could find a marriage for that first wife and maybe a birth or baptism I would have a bit more confidence that I am looking at the right person but have found very little concrete about him. I am...
  7. B

Uniform c1915

Yes I've come across this before but not too sure as on both 1881 and 1891 census and his marriage cert he is consistent with being born in 1842. However I've never managed to find him on anything with that year and Ardsley so the mystery continues!!
  8. B

Uniform c1915

As he has himself as a male nurse I would go with the Union workhouse although the boot and shoe factories sound promising as he is a tailor on the 2 census I've found for him. More puzzles still to solve!!
  9. B

Uniform c1915

Sorry, Yes it is farmer not labourer. I have had no luck finding them on earlier census's although did find a William Fox on the 1841 census born 1806/7 living in Ardsley Town, Darfield which I think is the Barnsley one. There are 2 sons and I know that John had at least one brother so that...
  10. B

Uniform c1915

I can't quite make out the witnesses but have attached the cert to see if you can make them out. x
  11. B

Uniform c1915

Yes, William Faulks, Labourer. Both John and Emma are living at Marston Road, Stafford and they were married at Stafford Register Office. I have tried to find out what might have been in Marston Road as John is showing as a Male Nurse so thought perhaps some sort of hospital. However have...
  12. B

Uniform c1915

Can’t believe how fast you all are at finding this info. It took me ages to get to the marriage if Emma and John. The spelling of Faulks threw me!
  13. B

Uniform c1915

That John is definitely not my grt grandfather as he was definitely born in Ardsley. The Fox family in Charles Henry St are ‘my’ Fox family. X
  14. B

Uniform c1915

yes she died in 1916 I believe. This letter is addressed to my grandfather, the eldest of the brothers. Both brothers died in WW1. Fred in 1915 and Alf in 1918
Back