• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by batmadviv

1. B

Stechford - The Village - Albert Road

Nick, the church was All Saints, Albert Road. From your description it sounds like it was the same gentleman. The vicar at that time was David Sansome.
  2. B

Nick, I have a picture in my my memory of a tallish, slim, grey haired gentleman that may have been Mr. O’Nions. I think he was a church warden. Vivienne
  3. B

Grammar schools and comprehensives in Birmingham in the 50s and 60s.

I have the impression that all of the working class children who went to Grammar schools had parents who struggled to pay for our uniforms. I know my parents did as I was not the only member of my family who made it to grammar school. As the school I attended was over 3 miles from home...
  4. B

Grammar schools and comprehensives in Birmingham in the 50s and 60s.

Just like KRO it took time for me to grow in my uniform. 3 years later it fitted and it wasn’t worth buying another for the 5th and final year. I chuckle about it now but there was no fashion pressure that I noticed in those days except avid discussions about what Sandie Shaw or Cilla Black wore...
  5. B

The teacher with nicotine stained hands was Mr Ebrey. He was my teacher when I was 8 years old. Alison Hjelter is my sister. Well remembered, particularly the spelling! I recognise some of the names you mentioned. Regards, Batmadviv
  6. B

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

I was at Cropwood from 1954 to 1956. I really don’t recognise the cruelty or hunger that has been mentioned by some of the contributors to this thread. With 80 girls across the whole pupil age range I believe the staff did their best. I recall having wonderful afternoons on country walks...
  7. B

Applejacks

Hi Andrew, I am related through Gladys but some years ago Peter’s father’s former address was Soho Road, Handsworth, Birmingham. Hope this is of some use. Batmadviv
  8. B

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

I do not recognise any of the bad reports about Cropwood from my time there which was 1954 to 1956 age 6 to 8. Miss Urquhart was the head, Miss Williams the deputy. There were 2 other teachers making 4 in all for 80 girls from age 5 to school leaving age. Their hands were full particularly as...
  9. B

Bordesley green

Two of my aunts worked at Gardner’s sweet shop before the war. They used to live opposite Bordesley Green school from about 1920. They were certainly there during the war.
  10. B

Byng Kenrick Girls' Grammar School

It is on Birmingham History Forum in the section on Grammar Schools under Byng Kenrick Girls’ Grammar School.
  11. B

The photograph is a young version of the Margaret I knew when she worked at Deering’s. She was such a lovely kind helpful lady. She used to attend All Saints church in Albert Road as did my family who lived in Francis Road. My bedroom used to look out on to the back of Deering’s garage. Regards, Viv
  12. B

Applejacks

Phil is a cousin of mine. He had a business locally and has recently retired. The group gave a concert in Solihull before the ‘alterations’ in the town centre.
  13. B

Hello Beardy, Although my grandparents and some of their adult children lived at no. 47 from just before the end of the war I didn’t live there until 1952 just before my 4th birthday. Another family called Beard lived a few doors from 47, possibly no. 45 next door. Mr Beard was a butcher and...
  14. B

. Hello Hannissey, Sorry for the tardy reply but have not been on the forum recently. I remember Judith Oakes as she was my younger sister’s age and Margaret who worked at Deering’s. Margaret used All Saints’ church as did we as a family. We lived at 47 Francis Road which overlooked...