• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by BARTLEY GREEN

1. B

George Dixons Grammar School

I started in 1963 but left in 1969 so am not on the list although I recognise many of the names shown. After starting in 1A I sank without trace into the C steam and left after one year spent in 6G along with Harry Flashman among others.
  2. B

Really sorry to hear about Rudolph Smith. I was in 1A with him back in 1963 and remember him as a happy person. Always smiling. In a later year I remember facing him at cricket for the Britons against the Saxons and having to get out of the way of a particularly fierce delivery which lifted off...
  3. B

Messrs Rabone Brothers (later Rabone and Petersen Co. Ltd)

I didn't go on that outing. I can't remember why. not. Probably going through an antisocial phase. Nothing much changes. I could name quite a few, though, and am still in touch with a couple of them. There are at least 3 Perry's on there (4 if you count an ex wife). Fred Perry was my first boss...
  4. B

Messrs Rabone Brothers (later Rabone and Petersen Co. Ltd)

It was Italy that finally brought the company down. This would have been early 1982 I believe. By that time the business with South Africa was fairly limited. Some arrangement was made whereby Rabone Petersen Merchants carried on for a few years from premises in Cradley Heath but that business...
  5. B

I've just realised I did not respond to or even acknowledge the above post of over 12 months ago for which I apologise. Many thanks for the background information on Ray Wainwright who was head boy when I started in 1963. I only remember him from school assemblies and was struck by how confident...
  6. B

What a great photograph. Very natural with no posing. I wasn't sure if it was me in the background and sent a copy of the photograph to my brother to see if he could pick me out and he does confirm that the chap grinning in the background is definitely me (John Dale) so well done to Harry...
Back