• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by barryjohn

1. B

Handsworth New Road School

I was in a staff meeting just before the girls' school and the boys' school merged in 1974. Miss Reed was retiring and requested that before she went the younger male teachers might make an erection in the playground so that the girls could shelter in the event of rain. No one laughed out loud...
  2. B

Tidy Up Photo Please

Thanks Mike. I enjoy digitising my old slides and scanning photos but this one defeats me. Maybe I'm expecting too much.
  3. B

Tidy Up Photo Please

The only photograph I have of my grandad, Sidney Crutchley, is a very poor image from a newspaper giving news of his award of the Military Medal in 1917. Is there any way this can be enlarged and improved?
  4. B

Monkey run

It was definitely a place for young men and women to walk up and down a street trying to attract someone from the opposite sex (nothing to do with baseball!). I just don't see the connection with the term 'monkey run'.
  5. B

Monkey run

My mom and dad met on the 'monkey run' one Sunday evening in the mid 1930's. Does anyone know where the term 'monkey run' came from? Where were the most popular monkey runs?
  6. B

Bordesley Green Grammar Technical School

Re. picture of the ramp. The extension on the left is a reading room for the library. It was built about 1998 with half the money coming from a sponsor and consequently called The Bestway Reading Room. (Bestway Cash and Carry) For those who live locally you will see the front of the school is...
  7. B

Bordesley Green Grammar Technical School

The present school (Bordesley Green Girls' School) have a summer fete Saturday 4th July 2009 from 12 noon to 4 pm. 'Old BGBTS Boys' welcome, so I'm told.
  8. B

Alum Rock Road

Thanks for all the advice. I now have several links to Kelly's directory for Alum Rock Road. Another query.... For the 1901 census I was given great advice on how to find some streets in Bordesley Green and Small Heath by following Warwickshire - Aston - Deritend and then pages 80+. Can...
  9. B

Loxton Street School

Thanks Dereklcg I've driven down Melvina Road many times on my way from the M6 to Bordesley Green. Now I know where Loxton Street was. Barryjohn
  10. B

Loxton Street School

I've been reading this thread with interest but I can't find Loxton Street in the A to Z. Where was it?
  11. B

Saltley Reformatory for boys

Thanks so much. It looks very much like St Peters College, Saltley. Since they were both funded by Charles Adderley do you think they used the same architects?
  12. B

Saltley Reformatory for boys

Does anyone know where I can find a photo of the Norton Boys' Reformatory that used to be on Fordrough Lane in Bordesley Green? I'm sure I've seen one somewhere. Barryjohn
  13. B

Alum Rock Road

Thanks Alf and Carol. You were right Alf, the weather was too good to stay in. I've been in contact with Mike, Carol. I was too thick to find the link you suggested! Mike is emailing me the information I need. Thanks again to you both for taking the time to answer my question. Barryjohn
  14. B

Alum Rock Road

I would like to look at the list of shops/businesses on Alum Rock Road (from The Gate to Highfield Road) in different years; for example 1901 and 1951. What's the easiest way to do this? barryjohn
  15. B

Handsworth New Road School

I was a visiting teacher at Handsworth New Road during the seventies. I remember the Raising of the School Leaving Age from 15 to 16 which led to the amalgamation of the boys' school with the girls' school next door. At the Lower school we had an allotment looked after by a lovely old...
Back