• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Barbinoz

1. Barbinoz

Saltley / Duddeston & Nechells Area

Thanks for this, Graham runs an amazing page on Facebook, a wealth of information about Birmingham. Search for Birmingham Old Prints, Photographs and Maps 1600-1900's
  2. Barbinoz

Borough Lunatic Asylum All Saints 1851

Thank you Rosie, most of my family were interred in Yardley, a new cemetery for me to explore, digitally!
  3. Barbinoz

Thank you Rosie, no I didn't, so he only there a few days! I knew he was at home on the 1851 census. I wouldn't imagine he has a head stone but it's good to know where the bodies from St Thomas' went to Warstone Lane. I was Googling and his problem could have come from a virus. Cheers Barb
  4. Barbinoz

Thank you Janice, sadly most of the links are no longer valid. I did a search before I asked but there doesn't seem to be any concrete answer for anyone who lives abroad. From what I can make out, I think the Central Library holds what records there are but they aren't all catalogued. Thanks...
  5. Barbinoz

Hoping someone can tell me where I can apply to access any available records for my 3rd Great Grandfather Thomas Turner. I've recently found out that he died in the Lunatic Asylum 1/12 /1851. I've been trying for years to narrow down when he died and then his burial record for St Thomas popped...
  6. Barbinoz

sayings

haha! It was you look like wreck of the Hesperus, I like your Nan's version best! It was from a poem by Henry Longfellow about a ship in a storm a sea. My Dad used to say all of those and "so and so looks like a bag of muck tied in the middle" and "straight up and down like a yard of...
  7. Barbinoz

sayings

8. Barbinoz

sayings

My Dad always called me the Bab, I didn't realise until I was older that it wasn't just my name!
  9. Barbinoz

sayings

So an oil tot would be a similar thing to having a glass of milk before going out on the tiles. To line your stomach. That is a great list. My Dad had a few sayings some of which I'm sure he made up. Bangers and red lead was a sausage and tomato in a batch or sandwich ( I'm a Coventry kid...
  10. Barbinoz

sayings

Lady P, we're certainly not thick! Here's what researchers reckon the original productions of Shakespeare would have sounded like: To me it sounds like a West Country accent, I found I liked it better than the plays I saw in Stratford in the late 60s! Who really knows, I'll just stick...
  11. Barbinoz

sayings

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This made me smile Lady P! Living in Australia and having a Midlands Accent (Coventry) I've often said that Shakespeare talked like me, I get funny looks from some! ;)
  12. Barbinoz

Mortimer Dent

Thank you so much Janice I can pass these on to my cousin, I'm sure she'll find them very interesting, she was very fond of Richard Warren (I just realised I've called him Jones!) He was like a big brother to her. I'd seen the other family trees too, I think they're related to the wife, Doris...
  13. Barbinoz

Mortimer Dent

Thank you for that Janice, yes I'm on Ancestry but I only have the basic UK subscription. So that address is great, I looked on Google Earth and the house is very large and well appointed with a big garden, not as grand as my other cousin imagined! I can now show her what it looks like. I...
  14. Barbinoz

Mortimer Dent

Hi everyone, I've just found out some new information about a 2nd cousin and his wife, Richard Jones and Evelyn M Dent. They married in 1946 and she was the daughter of Mortimer Dent who had a string of Picture Theatres in and around the Birmingham. The info I have (verbally) is that the...
  15. Barbinoz

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

What a great pic, as you say they all look so proud and smart! My maternal Granddad, Herbert Allen worked for them for many years starting off as an engine cleaner at the age of 13, working up to tram driving, which he did until his death at the age of 60 in 1935. He would have been around 34...
Back