• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by awpainter

1. A

The Old Library - Digbeth

A little bit of information and also a couple of small pictures on the BCC Website: https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=Lib-Central-Archives-and-Heritage%2FPageLayout&cid=1223092759394&pagename=BCC%2FCommon%2FWrapper%2FWrapper
  2. A

I will get some pictures on my next visit to give everyone an idea of it's current condition from the inside. A magnificent building inside and out. Alex
  3. A

Ell- that's the one! Yes! Those pictures are amazing. What do you know about it? Alex Edit- I don't suppose anyone has any pictures of it in it's former glory as a library do they?
  4. A

Thanks Sue. I think the trick with this place is to find out what it was originally called, if different from it's modern day name. Another thing to point out is that it was a lending library, apparently one of the earliest according to the owner (not sure how true this is). Than you for kind...
  5. A

Hi all, I'm trying to find some further information on a building that is now part of the 'Custard Factory Spaces'. I've found a few entries on here of people who have noticed the building but as yet cannot find any further information, there is also a mention from Peter Walker who noticed it...
  6. A

Shard End Australian Flats

Just to reserect this thread from the dead........... Kitsland Road shops as I remember them but I could do with anyone else that could put names to the shops. I grew up on berrowside road (adjoining Kitsland) and would visit the shops every Saturday. My step dad even worked in and took over...
  7. A

The Two Hands, The Packhorse, The Cheshire Cat and The Harlequin - Shard End!

I was a regular at the Two Hands, in fact I drank in there not long before it was demolished along with the shops opposite on Kitland Road and the flats behind it as well. One of the last Landlords was killed on a night out with his wife in Olton. It's very weird seeing how the area is now, so...
  8. A

Digbeth and Moor Street - 1970-90s Pictures Wanted + info on Car Park

Perfect thank you. The "moor" the better. excuse the terrible pun. Alex.
  9. A

Thank you Dek.... You have no idea how much finding this single photo means to me :) https://my.bus.photos.fotopic.net/p35525935.html I completely forgot about the Outrigger/Ship Ashore but then again I wasn't old enough to drink at the time, plus it was always "above me" coming out of that...
  10. A

Right then...... Leading on from a thread I posted in General site enquiries I am after some "modern" history photos and information regarding a very specific area of Brum :) Basically there was a Multi story car park next/behind Moor Street that you entered via un underground tunnel from...
Back