• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by AustinLancer

1. AustinLancer

Lewis's Department Store

The Aussie one would be wearing shorts, have zinc cream on their nose, sun glasses and carrying a surfboard!!!!! The Christmas manager at Rackhams was a Birmingham City fan and I'd adopted the Villa so I don't think it was racist me being an Aussie- more a claret and blue thing !!!!
  2. AustinLancer

Lewis's Department Store

On the subject of Birmingham and Christmas ............ 20 years ago I worked at Rackhams over Christmas, this was about the time Lewis's closed - the Rackham's staff were in shock - Lewis's being such a Birmingham institution. Father Christmas in Rackham's was a WW 2 veteran, who had lost a...
  3. AustinLancer

Bull Ring Car Park

Many thanks to all for replies. The more I think of this it seems perfect material for a John Cleese comedy sketch (the You tube clip with the Red 1100 reminds me of the skit where Cleese bashes a similar car with a tree!!) Does any one have any pics of this building ???
  4. AustinLancer

Birmingham Factory Football Teams

Cheers lencops for reply. It is easy to forget in today's times what a big part different community groups eg Boys Brigade played in the lives of many. It's a pity some of today's "stars" didn't start off in such teams.
  5. AustinLancer

Holy Souls is really a team name ?????????
  6. AustinLancer

Bull Ring Car Park

Cheers mikejee Any idea when it closed ? You tube clip makes it look a big white elephant. Makes you wonder what planners were thinking ????
  7. AustinLancer

Bull Ring Car Park

On You Tube there is a clip entitled birminghams bull ring-1964 to 1999-before demolision. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUIr2UWHMkM&feature=related At about 2 min mark a couple in a red Austin 1100 pull into the Bull Ring multi storey car park off the Queensway , where in an operator...
  8. AustinLancer

Wow!!!! Thanks so much Wendy. What a fantastic cross section of Brummie groups / industry. Thanks so much for posting.
  9. AustinLancer

Thanks Wendy, what are some of the companies that fielded teams ? A bloke I worked with at Rackhams 20 years ago was telling me how when he did his national service in the British Army in the 50's because he was a good footballer he got out of a lot of the "army stuff" his pals had to do...
  10. AustinLancer

German Aerial Reconnaissance Photographs

Hi Nostromo Haven't been there for 20 years but Birmingham's museum next to Big Brum use to have a WW2 Luftwaffe map on display. Cheers Austin Lancer
  11. AustinLancer

Royal Warwickshire 1/8 Battalion

Hi Chris & Alan Many thanks for your replies. Alan would you know which memorials ? As I type this on 4-11-10, the anniversary of these chaps deaths, I can't but think what a terrible loss to die so close to Nov 11. A H Eade (Arthur Henry) was one of 8 children, Artthur being killed when...
  12. AustinLancer

Cheers paulx What happened to these teams when these businesses closed ? Did they become new identities / teams like Armstrong Siddley >>>>> Airbus UK ?
  13. AustinLancer

Hi Chris Many thanks for the reply and link to your wonderful web site. My relative according to CWGC web site died on 4/11/18, thus I assume being killed on the first day of the battle you mention. Would you have any idea of the casualties the Warwicks took in this battle so close to the...
  14. AustinLancer

Cheers Amanda - I believe this battalion also saw service in Italy fighting the Austrians - but this may be in correct.
  15. AustinLancer

Lewis's Department Store

Hi Ian FOFB - many thanks for reply - so was / is there an Argos in that same location / vicinity ?
Back