• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Austin K2

1. A

Darbys Gravelly Hill Erdington

Thank you Ray
  2. A

THE WINTERS OF 47 AND 63

Winter of '47, still at school, thought it was great. Winre of '62, married with two kids, just been thrown out on the street, (No protection then). Council put us in what they called "A half way house", one room in an old large victorian house in Moseley. Very cold, shared kitchen, one cold...
  3. A

Just a thought, where do I find the "neighbours and streets" thread?
  4. A

OK thanks
  5. A

OK, understood, but why not let me know that has been moved. It would save any problems. Thank you.
  6. A

But why has the original post dissapeared from "General Discussion"thread.?
  7. A

Where is it please?
  8. A

I started a thread with this title last week. For some reason it seems to have dissapeared, can anyone explain what has happened please. AustinK2
  9. A

Does anyone remember the DARBY'S from GRAVELLY HILL, Erdington during the 1940's through to the 1960's. Would love to catch up with family and friends from that era. A couple of names I remember are Billy Kane and Kevin Rumble from Minstead Road, also Warwick Brown from Oval Road. I attended...
  10. A

shepton mallet gaol

I was in Shepton Mallet prison for a week in 1956. Not as a prisoner I may add, but as duty driver. I had just been posted to 22 Coy. RASC and was sent on detatchment to the prison for one week as duty driver, just ferrying prisoners about and fetching rations and such like. As drivers we were...
  11. A

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Just been reading through this very interesting thread, and thought that you may be interested in seeing the attached photo. Is is of a small lapel badge which I bought off e-bay a short while back. (For not a lot) I bought it because my Father was in the Royal Warwicks during the Great War, he...
  12. A

Health and safety in the 1950’s

As a lad when my older brothers were doing their national service, they would on occasions bring home a few of the military thunderflashes that were used on army training. Great fun tying one to a housebrick, lighting and dropping into water, made a hell of a bang with a goodly shower to go with...
  13. A

Down the old end

If I can go off on a slight tangent, when we lived in a back terrace in Upper Webster Street in the '60's, the old girl on the end of our four houses shouted at my wife to "Get back to Scotland, where you belong". She must have heard at sometime, someone talking about where my wife was born...
  14. A

Birmingham's Image And Status

Phl said, I think that most people that say that Birmingham is a bit of a dump are people who have never visited the City and are going on what they are told by other people who have never visited either. Sorry Phil, I was born a Brummie 78 years ago, and at one time wouldn't hear a word said...
  15. A

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

Yes, did that with my children and grandchildren. Waiting for the greats to get a bit bigger. Get started all over again.
Back