• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by astonboy

1. astonboy

Bishop Ryder Junior And Infant School

Hi attended there in the early sixties. My teacher was Mrs Brookes . Mrs Goodall was the head and Mr Rawlins. My David Bratt and I lived at 16 Howe st next to the factory,. I now live in Canada.
  2. astonboy

The Boys Brigade

I was in the 42nd, we used a hall in Tower St Aston. I was also in the life boys.
  3. astonboy

Bishop Ryder Junior And Infant School

Hi All I went Bishop Ryder School and lived at 16 Howe St. I remember Mrs. Goodhall. I remember the chip shop called Chris's. and I also remember Mrs. Brooks and her Daughter. I loved that school, and was very upset when I left at the age of eight years old.
  4. astonboy

The Boys Brigade

Hi All, I was in the 42nd Boys brigade, and the 42nd Life buoys, I was a group captain in the life buoys. our meeting hall was at Upper Thomas Street Annex in Tower st Aston. we did parades and marched with the band around the streets of Aston, we attended Aston Parish church, for church parade.
  5. astonboy

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Any one remember the Rum Runner, I think it was on Hurst st or around that area.
  6. astonboy

Upper Thomas Street School Aston

Hi Aston lad Well it's a small world, I am David Bratt. Thanks for the Pictures, I recognize a few of the boys and of course Mr Parker and his secretary Mrs Prosser. hows your family? I live in Canada now. Astonboy
  7. astonboy

Rivers : River Rea

Has a Child I lived in Howe st which ran off Duneston st (I think) it was along time ago. At the bottom of Howe st was a huge wall (known locally has the dead wall) on the other side of the wall, was a railway unloading yard were bananas was unloaded. I don't think Howe st is there anymore.
  8. astonboy

Lucas Formans Road Sparkhill

Hi My Aunt Nancy, worked at Forums Rd, and my Grandad worked as a night watchman at Forums Rd. His name was John Henry Harwood. Anybody remember them? They use to live on Norman Rd Accocks Green. My Granmother use to arrange visits during the war to see children who were evacuated. She...
  9. astonboy

Hi Astonlad Well I remember Mr Parker, he gave me the cane often enough. May I ask are your initials J.C ? I lived at 31 Clarendon St. I notice you lived at 27 Clarendon st. if you have a photo of mr Parker may I see it? Astonboy.
  10. astonboy

I went to both upper Thomas st schools, (Juniors and seniors) between 1961-1969. The headmaster I remember was Mr Parker, a small man, with glasses. anyone remember him. My teachers were Mr Anderson, Mr Frances, Mr Edwards, Mr Evans, Mr Nichols.
  11. astonboy

Royal visits to Birmingham

I Remember a royal visit back in the early 60s My School took us to see the Queen drive through, the Birchfield Road. Underpass.
  12. astonboy

Lucas Great King Street memories

Hi, my aunt worked at all her life, until she retired. her name was Nancy Harwood. she lived on Norland rd Accocks Green. anybody remember her?
Back