• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by ARippin

1. ARippin

Rae Helen (nee Nash)

Hi mike only just spotted your message. Thank you so much. Yes I have been in touch and even met Helen and Murray at their home (prior to lockdowns). Both are lovely people and really it’s really sad that Murray has passed away. I have been in touch with Helen relatively recently. Are you...
  2. ARippin

Rubery Hill Asylum Hospital

Hi Jess As its over a year I'm just checking you are still a member of this forum? I've just located a great uncle that was a patient at Rubery Hill on the 1939 Register. I've been trying to piece together his life for my aunt, his niece. I'm aware he's deceased (he was born in 1906) but also...
  3. ARippin

Quinton Hall for aged men

Hi Sez, sounds very promising and thanks for updating me. I'd love to gain some access also so might just give the library a ring tomorrow. As for taking sometime, I've come to realise patience is a virtue when it comes to researching your ancestors. So be interesting what you manage to turn...
  4. ARippin

Sounds promising, thanks Janice and you Sez, I will check as well in the next week or so.
  5. ARippin

Hi Sez Did you manage to locate where any of the Quinton Hall records were archived?
  6. ARippin

Starkeys, Clifton Road, Sutton Coldfield

Re: Starkey,s Update Hi john it's a long shot but just wondered if you are still on this forum? i'm doing some Starkey research and wondered if you would like to compare notes. kind regards andrew
  7. ARippin

Help needed reading birth certificate

You're very welcome. Sharing the information is the least I could do. I'm over the moon with all the help and feedback. Yes it must have been a tough time for them all and we can only imagine what it must have been like. Despite it being really sad it's fantastic that two new names of Mary...
  8. ARippin

Thanks Janice... looks likely (I was reading it as a 'D' rather than 'C'). I have just been reading up on it and as it's linked to gangrene, and what with pregnancy increasing the risk of Thrombosis (DVT) this seems to be what it is (although worded slightly differently... but then we are...
  9. ARippin

Thanks Maurice..... I always feel so thick when someone points it out because when you then take a look (albeit armed with the answer) it seems so obvious!! Thanks again, I appreciate your input.
  10. ARippin

As promised... poor Mary lingered on for a month after giving birth to David then Abraham. I can make out most of the cause of death as; 'Phlegmatic (or Phlegmatia) Delaus??? 3 weeks' 'Gangrene of leg 10 days' 'P????? 24 hours' (I thought of Peritoitis but dont think it is). Any thoughts...
  11. ARippin

Hi everyone, the certificates have turned up and thanks to you all I now have a new name to add to my tree. As we (you) established, the time on my Great Grandfathers birth cert indicated he was more than likely a twin and this is how it proved to be... 'Abraham - born Twenty second January...
  12. ARippin

Unknown North Staffs soldier... possible surname Palmer, Starkey or Nash

Hi Shera brilliant thanks for the list.... I've looked through the absent voters lists too but it's great to see them all in one place. I can see my Grandfather WF (and FW) Nash (KRRC & KSLI) on there along with his brother Frank (RAMC). Also my Great Grandfather David Palmer (RAF) and his son...
  13. ARippin

Unknown North Staffs soldier... possible surname Palmer, Starkey or Nash

Hi Col thanks for your input. Yes you're probably right about it being a family member. Although I've realised I've made a mistake! Whilst I have recently inherited a huge collection of photos from an Aunt, this actual photo came all the way from the USA! As this lady (a distant relative) is...
  14. ARippin

Yes I found this in the National Roll of the Great War on Ancestry, but only relatively recently so really really appreciate you looking and posting this. It's so rewarding finding out about your ancestors (good and bad) and piecing together their lives. I find it strange (but great) that he...
  15. ARippin

Help needed reading hand written address

Just had a look at feedback from you all and compared it to the document in question.... and yes definitely 'Price Street Six Ways' Smethwick. Easy when you have it spelt out for you! (no pun intended). Much appreciated all.
Back