• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by applet

1. A

Dorridge

Dorridge and Packwood British Legion whose meeting place was above the garages at the rear of The Forest Hotel wanted something more permanent for Remembrance Sunday. So they commissioned the construction of a Cenotaph of their own. It was made of wood and stood next to Cock and Thextons where...
  2. A

Dorridge

Well as my memory serves me next to what is now Vine cottage, where the newer houses are, but before you get to the entrance of coal and oil depot, was the entrance to the livestock yard where cattle auctions were held. The houses on the right hand side of Poplar Road, as you enter it from...
  3. A

Dorridge

that pub was there in 1861 it's no longer there.
  4. A

Dorridge

According to the census of 1881 there was a Vine Inn on the site mentioned. All I can tell you is the landlord came from Shropshire! Due to privacy stuff. That took almost 6 hours! If you have access to these records, which I do, Poplar Road is sited as part of Knowle. I'm going back to 1871 if...
  5. A

Dorridge

The one with the blue line.
  6. A

Dorridge

We moved from 15 to 68 Polar Road back in 1968. The house was raised around then. Here we have my Mother showing her cycling skills in the drive to the right of 15. Access to small businesses all up the drive. I do remember the small business next to our house was a motor cycle repair man. His...
  7. A

Dorridge

That's another picture of number 17. The place was a builders yard as I remember it Thompson's, later National Electrics took the place over and now I believe it's occupied by a design company. To the left of where my Uncle is standing is our old house and due to the lack of traffic I used to...
  8. A

Dorridge

Mr Gillooly was a chirpodist, he moved his practise into Manor Road, actually opposite where the Bouchers lived and very near the church. I was in the same class as Janet Gillooly at Dorridge infants and Junior school. And Jimmy Knibb was the demon barber. Thanks Paul for this collection.
  9. A

Dorridge

I'm so glad I made someones day! Here's a map quite clearly showing that until Poplar Road was built through to Mill lane it would have been a no through road.
  10. A

Dorridge

https://www.francisfrith.com/dorridge/photos/the-village-1961_d102023/ Angela try this site as a memory jogger.
  11. A

Dorridge

Cock and Thextons, I remember old Bill Cock and Ben Thexton, My mother worked there after giving up her job to look after her Mother and have me. I remember Giles the hardware,by the signal box near the bridge, the cleaners and Mrs Pooler next to the chemist, (Mr Dyehouse spl;). Opposite the...
  12. A

Dorridge

There was so little traffic in those days leaving me out in the road for a photo shoot wasn't deemed to be a hazard. You can see the houses at the top of the old road. we moved to a newer hous just about where that telegraph post is in 1968.
  13. A

Dorridge

At the time of the pictures my Father wasn't on the scene. That side of the family are from Aston, Hertfordshire. My Grandfather moved to Tapster House, Tapster Valley near Henly in Arden from Knebworth Hall where he was head gardener. He later went to work at Lapworth House and ended his...
  14. A

Dorridge

This will be my Mother then outside number 17.
  15. A

Dorridge

I believe that many people who are relative new comers to Dorridge think that Poplar Road has always been fully residential. This picture, taken probably by my Uncle is of a street party at the end of World War II. Please note the trees at the top left. There was always a pool of water and...
Back