• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Antonym

1. A

Birmingham museum and art gallery.

I used to go into the museum for the meetings of the Birmingham Natural History and Philosophical Society in '50s (butterfly mad at that time). As a 13 year old, I remember seeing Henry Moore's bronze 'Fallen Warrior' and thought it the saddest and most heart wrenching thing I had ever seen...
  2. A

Arnold Road, Shirley.

My folks rented a pleasant 3-bed semi in Arnold Rd during the war and I remember my ma saying that we could buy it for £525! On my dad's post office wage of about £3 per week, there was more chance of the moon falling out of the sky... Antonym.
  3. A

Arnold Road, Shirley.

Anyone resident in Arnold Rd in the '40s and '50s. I lived at No 57 through WWII, and can remember milk and bread delivered by horse-drawn cart, the VE day street party and dog-fight con-trails in the sky above. Fortunately, no bombs... Antonym.
  4. A

Childhood Memories

I was there '48-'54. Robinson was head ( who coshed me once - well deserved!), followed by Gaskin just before I left. I used to go by bike from Shirley and we would burn up the hill close behind one of the buses. Holy Ben, Phil Bullock, Beaky Brampton, Neddy Bacon et al. I went back to the...
  5. A

San Fairy Ann

I remember my dad using it after returning from France after the war. I always assumed he had heard Frenchmen say 'sans fait rien' - without means nothing. Yer live and learn... Antonym.
Back