• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by Annie Murray

1. A

Home Guard

Hello Chris. Many apologies for not replying sooner - apart from the feeble excuse of trying to move house at the moment I also must have missed an alert about this. I massively appreciate all the research and thought you have put into this. I am used to working with fragments a lot of the time...
  2. A

Home Guard

Hi Chris, Thanks for the quick reply. I understand about the HG hours - actually the other info would also be useful. I am writing about the 1940s at present. Annie
  3. A

Home Guard

Did anyone have a relative in the Cadburys Home Guard Unit? Also does anyone know the times that shifts began and ended. Did anyone ever get any sleep?! All best wishes, Annie
  4. A

birmingham 1969-73

Thank you for posting these wonderful pictures Mike - fascinating and haunting as well. Best wishes, Annie
  5. A

Rag Market

Thanks for your reply Rosie. I am thinking of the first re building. A couple who I spoke to who worked there in the 50s on wards could remember moving into the bus station but did not say exactly when. I think it was when a lot of the rebuilding of the Bull Ring was going on in the early '60s.
  6. A

Rag Market

great to hear Carolina, thank you!
  7. A

Rag Market

Thank you Barmybrummy! Great descriptions. Just wondering if you or anyone remembers exactly which year the Rag Market moved into the bus station (Midland Red I think) while they were building the new one? I understand it was in the early 60s - does anyone know more exactly please? Best wishes...
  8. A

Rag Market

Hello Astonian, Thank you very much indeed for all this - it's very interesting and helpful. The only thing I'd like to ask back is about the timing of the Rag Market. The people I talked to said that at one stage the market had fruit and veg sellers in from early morning until about midday when...
  9. A

Rag Market

Thank you - that's helpful. It's very difficult to get any sort of dates for this sort of thing but the people spoke to who were traders seemed to think it changed after the war. Best wishes, Annie
  10. A

Rag Market

One more question I'm still struggling with... IN all the pics/accounts of the Rag Market in the 1950s you can see all the racks and tables etc for things to be laid out on. The traders I have spoken to seemed to think that these only came in after the war and that in the early days (though how...
  11. A

Rag Market

Yes that's me - thank you very much for telling me that - very kind of you. I'm glad your Mom likes the books and thanks for getting in touch. best wishes, Annie
  12. A

Coventry Road Steam Trams

That's good enough - thank you very much! Annie
  13. A

Coventry Road Steam Trams

Hello - can anyone tell me where the tram along the Coventry Road stopped when they got into town? Advanced thanks, Annie
  14. A

Rag Market

Thanks for these memories - ad especially for those fantastic pics Phil. Never seen them before. Best wishes, Annie
  15. A

Rag Market

Thank you very much - what a quick reply! I'm guessing you're talking about the 1950s? Best wishes, Annie
Back