• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by alanfisher202

1. A

Tree of Life Memorial

Rosie My wife's Grandmother knew George Inwood,he was married to my wife's Grandmothers sister.
  2. A

Sgt.Pilot Michael K Daniels from Erdington, 274 Sqdn RAF KIA 16th June 1941

Very interesting Tyke, so young like many others who gave their lives for our country,lets hope you get a response,best wishes to you and your Mom for Christmas and the New Year.
  3. A

Hall Of Memory Birmingham

Thanks for posting your photo Vivienne showing the Hall Of Memory and the beautiful Garden of Remembrance,I would imagine they had just been opened (No trees or shrubs yet in the garden) Why oh why did the council agree to remove such a lovely garden area which had been set aside for...
  4. A

Soho Road Handsworth

Ashley Place was divided in two (Even though it was possible to walk from Baker Street to Dawson Road) if my memory serves me right in the middle where toilets and wash houses,maybe one half came under Dawson Road and the other Baker Street,there was also another Terrace,that too was in two...
  5. A

Handsworth

My friend said there was a confectioners on the corner of Holiday Road but cannot remember the name,sorry.
  6. A

Handsworth

I remember some of the shops at the bottom of Ninevah Road a fish and chip shop being one,and also I think there was a cobblers,I was also in the scouts with a chap named Purchus who lived in a shop there I think that was a confectioners (I will get in touch with a friend he lived in Allens Road...
  7. A

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

What ever happened to the bomb we used to put our pennies in,also, does anybody know the full story with regards where it landed and such.
  8. A

The Barrel Soho Road..

Don't start me off please.
  9. A

Gladstone Terrace Handsworth

Thanks for the reply happy memories indeed, BUT PLEASE DON'T START ME OFF NUFF SAID
  10. A

Old street pics..

I think you will find this is 2856 looking up Livery street towards Hockley
  11. A

Handsworth

Hello Steve,Just thought I would mention It was the Princes Suite not the Princess Suite,seem to remember being told the Prince of Wales opened it in the early 1900s,also was the scout group the same as the group I mention earlier on this thread.
  12. A

Pubs Of The Past

Carolina, The pub in Hampstead is called THE GARDEN GATE. The one in Handsworth Is (Or was) just called the Gate.
  13. A

Pubs Of The Past

The Gate Pub in Handsworth was a Davenports Pub,had a few pints of Drum Bitter in there lovely Place.
  14. A

Handsworth

Thats me,been a long time since we played scrimmage in the hall, I also had a friend who lived in Allens Road, looking down the road he lived in the far right corner house, (Tony Ives) cannot remember the number though,flattened many a penny on the rail tracks at the bottom of his garden, and...
  15. A

Handsworth

You are right I can see the entrance now in the middle picture, attended a few functions in the suite,had our wedding reception upstairs,a great pub along with the Farcroft, Red Lion,Uplands and many more in Handsworth just in the wrong place when the area went downhill
Back