• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Alan Tucker

1. A

WW1 medals J G Davis Royal Warwickshire Regiment - recovered 2007

I responded to the appeal in last week's Solihull Observer having done some research. They said the writer of the story would get back to me. Did not happen. Left my phone number on the policeman's answer phone. No reply. He was Joseph G Davis, Private, Royal Warwicks. Went to France 18.7.15...
  2. A

Suffragettes In Birmingham

Michelle Shoebridge's study of the Bham suffragettes was in Local Studies/Heritage now shut.
  3. A

Julia Varley

Thanks for that - looks like a permanent base for her
  4. A

Julia Varley

From my forthcoming 'Great War Trail of Birmingham' 42, Hay Green Lane, Bournville. It has not been possible to find a wartime address for Miss Julia Varley, a leading woman trade unionist of the time. This was her address in November 1952 when she died at the age of 81. She was born at...
  5. A

new WW1 project

If it was near Abbeville it was in a back area used for training/rest for Divisions taken out of the line. If we knew the name of the cemetery we could see the date of death/regiment spread. Reasons - illness, disease, accident?
  6. A

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Interesting stuff. I have him in my history of the regt.... RSM Edward Pratt, 42, died from his wounds and twenty other ranks were killed with 64 wounded and seven men missing. Lander described Pratt as a “huge, heavy man, a dear good natured soul loved by everybody. He…refused aid from our...
  7. A

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Full name????
  8. A

Very young Smethwick soldier

Well spotted - arithmetical own goal.
  9. A

Rosie beat me to the Mayburys. Used Kellys 1913 which has some names for Edith Road and then found a couple there in 1911 then found 121 Edith Road. Great detective work to find his service record - 29 pages - inc a few blank. 1. 1901 census (no luck with 1911) 349 Bearwood Rd Father Arthur...
  10. A

You are right Terry - interesting. But it will be a dead end because.... 1. He is a Jones 2. No Christian name 3. No name of parents So no MIC or census etc
  11. A

searching for the WW1 battalion using only name service number and regiment

Villa Park A former Aston Lower Grounds building in 1914 was shared as the Drill Hall of the 1/8th Royal Warwicks and the club. Forgot to say -there is no surviving service or pension record. Territorials founded 1908 with the four battalions mentioned. Were for home service only. When...
  12. A

Colin beat me to it partially. 1. 1911 census. Is this him? John Percy Davis married to Lily in c1905 living at 220, Park Lane, Aston Manor. He 26, she 25. Worked as a bricklayer's labourer. Three children - Ernest Frederick 5, Florence 4, Fred 1. All born Aston Manor. 2. His Medal Index...
  13. A

Unless you give us the full details we won't be able to help you. If you do not know which battalion he might be in one of 13 battalions who weren't the three City Bns/Bham Pals - 14th, 15th, 16th Royal Warwicks.
  14. A

New web site dedicated to Birmingham and the West Midlands in the Great War

Have a good trip David. It is always nice to get away from the woes of our football teams! Guilbert53 - you are right of course. But I have done exceptionally well to get this far as a complete amateur. In the software I am using to build the site I could not find how to make the links more...
  15. A

New web site dedicated to Birmingham and the West Midlands in the Great War

Hope this does not appear twice. I thought I posted it yesterday! www.alantuckersfirstworldwarpages.co.uk/
Back