• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Adrian Angove

1. A

Longbridge underground tunnels

During WWII there was a fully equipped First Aid / Hospital Unit and ambulance station within the tunnels ... my Uncle John (as a member of St John's Ambulance) was stationed there throughout the war, while living nearby on the Bristol Road South ... he was also an Austin Aero line worker on the...
  2. A

Lickey Hills

Looking at the shape of the building and its position in the landscape I am pretty sure it was the Austin-Aero Ltd Aeroplane Factory building at Cofton Hackett, (where my father worked after leaving Kings Norton Grammar School in the 1930s) ... which was closed in the 1960s and finally...
  3. A

Lickey - Beacon Hill Toposcope - Request for help

There is a spirited discussion taking place at Wikipedia regarding the Beacon Hill Toposcope at Lickey ... a number of younger folk reckon that the elaborate castle, that surrounds it, has been there ever since 1906 when the toposcope was first sited there and was merely 'rebuilt' in the 1980s...
  4. A

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

Re: Cadbury's Bourneville I NEVER got fed up of the chocolate supplies Jayell, ... bearing in mind we had the best part of 2 kilos of chocolate bars coming into the house each Friday for nearly ten years ... you would have thought we would be the size of small houses with all those calories ...
  5. A

Re: Cadbury's Bourneville Thanks for that ... the Dairy Milk tin lid exactly as I remember it. That is the factory's cricket ground ... period baroque towered clubhouse/changing rooms on the far right .... the ground floor staff canteen behind it, with the patio lawn and outdoor tables just in...
  6. A

Re: Cadbury's Bourneville I remember Kingsley Road well ... a lifelong friend of my grandmother lived there and we used to visit her for tea and cake at the weekends. Her name was Mrs Blanchard and before she retired she was owner/headmistress of Woodlands Park Private Preparatory School (that...
  7. A

Re: Cadbury's Bournville Personally the Cadbury factory drove me insane as a young teen and a chocoholic ... I went to school at Bournville Technical Grammar School on Griffinsbrook Lane ... and if the wind was blowing in the right direction all you could smell all day long was chocolate ... it...
  8. A

Bilberry Hill training centre Association of Boys Clubs

The building was gifted to the people of Birmingham in perpetuity by Mrs and Mrs Barrow Cadbury in 1904 as a tea rooms and remained in that use until the early 1960s (approx 1963/64) when it was converted for use as a residential youth training centre. As a child and a youth I ate there with my...
  9. A

Last tram ever along Bristol Road

I am very puzzled now ... I was born in February 1949 but didn't move with my family to Northfield until I was four years of age ... but I can clearly remember several journeys on trams ... walking up St Lawrence Road, crossing to the central grassed reservation and climbing up the step onto the...
  10. A

Lickey Hills

Remarkably yes I can remember riding the tram from St Lawrence Road Northfield to the Lickey terminal. It is a vivid memory even though I was only just 3 years old when the trams were decommissioned. ... the bell cable strung at shoulder height (my dad's not mine) ... the acrid smell of...
Back