• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by acklam19

1. A

Golden Hillock Road Six Ways Small Heath

Hi El tel just a smal
  2. A

[264] Herbert Road small heath

Hi all photo no 4 is where Herbert Rd meets Coventry Rd next to the bus garage in my day 1940/50s it was a shop that produced mainly mirrors for the home.regards Acklam19
  3. A

Bywaters

Hi all. In the late 40 and 50s one of the highlights of the week for us kids was to watch the unloading of the animals at Bywaters which I think took place on a Sunday because they blocked the Coventry Rd to get the right angle for the lorry ramp, sometimes one would escape and send us all...
  4. A

Fazeley street

hi brummie. I worked on the then Lyons bakery building on the corner of Liverpool St in 1955 and you certainly knew when the bone factory was in action, being on the top lft of the scaffold you got the full blast which you took home in your hair and clothes I cannot imagine how the workers got...
  5. A

Ford Family Garrison Lane.

Hi Tinpot. I was born at 8 back 90 Arthur St in 1939 so would been surrounded by the same sights as Elsie May saw in her letter as the old yard had not changed much even then. Our house was exactly as she described which was home to us five children and mom and dad , we left there in 1956...
  6. A

Llewellyn Ryland, Haden St., Balsall Heath

hi all. While carrying out a large decorating contract at Davenports Brewery Bath Row we were supplied with Ryland undercoat and gloss which turned out to be no good for the job in hand l complained to my boss and he said l will see what Rylands have to say. Next day much to my surprise he...
  7. A

Mansel Road, St Benedicts Road & Whitmore Road 1960-1969

Hi Michael just to say its a pity your parents and family left when they did as the club built a superb concert room at the rear complete with a very nice stewards flat above.I did quite a bit of building repairs there over the years I was a member working through the club's money man George...
  8. A

Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry 2nd Battalion WW2

Hi mws. Nellie (Ellen) Baxter was born in Wolverhampton in about 1867 her father was George Platt 1821 and was a coal dealer living at 57 Salop Street her mother was Emma and can be found on the 1851,61,71 and 81 census. Regards Acklam19
  9. A

Bedsteads in Deritend?

Hi all great picture of Bordesley Palace , my mom met my dad there in the 1930s she said she hated him at first sight because he had bright Ginger hair and of course the rest is history. When we were kids in the 1950s we always called ln there with our gang on our walk to the city centre as it...
  10. A

Cigarette smoking

Hi all I as a lifetime non smoker I can still recall when l was working that the carpenters on site favoured the Woodbine packet as they reckoned if they put it behind a door hinge it would just do enough to make a door hang correctly on the event of snags Acklam19
  11. A

Jenkins Street School Small Heath

Hi all. I remember Jenkins St school as an adventure playground after the war ,we would get in through one of the smashed windows and climb over all the rubble and broken desks, on reflection we were lucky to get away with it as some of lnterior walls were very dodgy. My younger sisters went...
  12. A

Clocks

Hi all we have a very old pen dulem clock which my wife winds up and will not let me near (to heavy handed)and when we have our meals in the dining room where the clock lives she sometimes says that clock sounds wrong for all the reasons Morton states. I find that when I take it down to...
  13. A

Aston Union Workhouse

HI all. Thank you all for your prompt replies, I see now now the reason for my confusion as l know William and Nellie(Ellen) lived at various address,s in Wharton St including 1 bk 20 and No 4 as William worked as a labourer at the Sewerage farm directly behind Wharton St so l assumed wrongly...
  14. A

Aston Union Workhouse

Hi all your help required if possible. I have querie regarding some family members who ended up in Aston Workhouse in 1911. My William Baxter B.1859 and his family is clearly shown in the 1911 census Summary book as living at their long time address at 44 Wharton St Nechells but then on the 1911...
  15. A

Bordesley Street

Hi Astoness & Mike.Thank you both for your kind help, the map is brilliant as it shows the court dead opposite were he would have gone every day to his work at Bordesley Street Wharf where as I said he was a Boatman on the canals. I will add it to my family tree files if thats OK. Regards Acklam19
Back