• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

computer help

I've bought a new Eco Epson printer as my old one is about 20 years old and the inks are increasingly expensive. This one has refillable tanks. Epson claim that you can control it with an App. I'll see how it takes to a mix of Apple and Windows laptops a Windows desktop and our phones...
i was thinking of buying one let us know how you get on with yours...... there seems less and less ink in a new cartridge nowdays

I suspect these things are tested with a fast American internet connection with loads of capacity. Perhaps turn off the setting for peer sharing of Win updates if you've not done so already? My lad is a gamer and he found that his PC works best connected directly to the router with an old-fashioned wire...
I was a gamer 30 years ago and I'm still a gamer still at 77 :cool: my new PC is a gaming machine, I always have my PC connected to the internet via an ethernet cable from the modem but that is usually done by gamers who play online which I don't anymore. I just turned off peer sharing as you suggested.

i was thinking of buying one let us know how you get on with yours...... there seems less and less ink in a new cartridge nowdays
65 ml per cartridge. Epson want me to subscribe 99p per month for ink. I bought a set of ink plus an extra two blacks to start with. It is an Epson ET 2830 and is quite light to carry. The black was darker on my old printer. It is fast, but doesn't seem to hold much paper. Three colours plus black.

I'm not sure if I want a dedicated photo printer. I've seen good work in black and white with split tones and my old printer did decent colour prints on photo paper. (Six inks including black).

Set up on a smart device - iPhone, then on a laptop. We have added printer to the network, so should all be able to share it. Ok, so far. The plastic body is flimsy, but ok for home use I guess.

I was a gamer 30 years ago and I'm still a gamer still at 77 :cool: my new PC is a gaming machine, I always have my PC connected to the internet via an ethernet cable from the modem but that is usually done by gamers who play online which I don't anymore. I just turned off peer sharing as you suggested.
Very cool, Izzy! I have a windows machine with Witcher 3 and Firewatch, but I haven't played much on Mac since Myst and Riven. My lad mostly plays on line with his mates. Interesting to see if the peer sharing switched off makes a difference.

Very cool, Izzy! I have a windows machine with Witcher 3 and Firewatch, but I haven't played much on Mac since Myst and Riven. My lad mostly plays on line with his mates. Interesting to see if the peer sharing switched off makes a difference.
I loved the Witcher games, things have come on a lot since then and now we get photo realistic games, just like you are actually taking part in a film. Currently playing "Starfield" where there are actually 1000 planets and moons that can be landed on and explored to find alien flora and fauna and lost civilisations, space pirates and colonies etc.

Well, I'm not one bit impressed with Windows 11, I have had my new high spec PC for one week now and so far I would much prefer Win 10.
I find it slower to load from the days first startup, slower to turn off, most annoying is it's slower to open from sleep, which I use on and off all day long, and there are loads of comments regarding this all over the net
This surprises me Izzy as I am well impressed with W11. I have a mid-range Acer Laptop i5 processor at 1GHz, 8GB ram. 1st start 16 secs to log-in screen (local password) + 10 secs to full desktop. Recovery from sleep about 1 sec. You must be loading some pretty heavy stuff!

Hello John,
my spec is Intel Core i7 12700F, 16GB DDR4, 12GB NVIDIA RTX 4070 Graphix, 1TB M.2 Solidigm P41 Plus NVMe M.2 SSD

So you have about 26 seconds to desktop which is similar to mine and I disabled password etc. Win 10 loaded on my old PC (with SSD) in 15 seconds total. From sleep loads in 9 seconds, Win 10 was more or less instant. I'm not loading anything much at startup other than what came pre installed so no heavy stuff. Games can be 150Gb or more but they don't load anything at startup

Last edited:
This surprises me Izzy as I am well impressed with W11. I have a mid-range Acer Laptop i5 processor at 1GHz, 8GB ram. 1st start 16 secs to log-in screen (local password) + 10 secs to full desktop. Recovery from sleep about 1 sec. You must be loading some pretty heavy stuff!
I have been running W11 for a little over a year up from W10 and I don’t find it any slower. I run most everything through Outlook and have added MS project and occasionally read Solid-works, it is differant, but certainly not slower.

I have been running W11 for a little over a year up from W10 and I don’t find it any slower. I run most everything through Outlook and have added MS project and occasionally read Solid-works, it is differant, but certainly not slower.
I'm not saying that Windows 11 itself is slow when running/installing stuff etc, it's just slower than Win10 at startup and sleep

I'm not saying that Windows 11 itself is slow when running/installing stuff etc, it's just slower than Win10 at startup and sleep
I think it's all relative! My W10 tower is now VERY slow so makes the laptop look like it's turbo-charged! The tower is i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70GHz with 8GB ram but was installed in 2020 and with all the messing about I do trying out different applications (and Microsoft's inability to keep the OS tidy) it's coming up to the time for a re-install. Bit of a drag that though.

When I save an image off BHF I can see the thumbnail in file explorer but the image will not open in Photos or Paintshop Pro. If I copy and paste directly from BHF into Paintshop Pro it works fine.
Any ideas,? any help is appreciated.

Would it be something to do with Chrome ? See:
I think that's probably it Mike, thanks but not having any luck with it. When I save an image off BHF it does have the jpg extension.
I'll manage with copy & paste until my son can have a look at it. I've only had this pc for 3 weeks and I think it's always the case that a new pc behaves very different to your existing on.

I just tried browsing other sites using chrome and I can save and open images as normal so very confused by this.

Anyone else blocked on youtube because i have an ad blocker, ( I don`t have an ad blocker ) so why am i blocked??

I'm using Brave browser more and more these days. Just logged on here and its blocked 46 ads and tracker cookies; no ads on YT either and you can import all your bookmarks and google passwords.

It may well block adds. But out of interest I installed it and did a few searches of a more complex and complicated nature and found it pretty rubbish. Depends what is important in your searching

I use Linux but have Brave a a secondary browser. Most of the time I use Vivaldi which has all the advantages of Brave and more but omits the unnecessary gimmicks.

I'm now using Brave to watch ad flooded sites like YouTube and to my surprise C4 on demand, no more adds :)

Chrome is still the better search engine but its nice to be able to watch TV via laptop/PC in the kitchen or radio shack without adds.

So I've dumped Firefox completely (way too resource hungry), use Chrome as my standard browser, Brave for streaming, Opera for torrent hunting and Torch for its very good download manager which they sadly don't provide on new versions.

HELP PLEASE! Just bought an Amazon Kindle on line but it "Speaks" Cantonese! The supplier e-mails me saying "it can easily be switched to English in Settings, but how? I'm not very computer literate and don't read a word of Chinese!

Thanks both, it's easy to change an "English" to something else but more difficult trying to change "Chinese" to English especially when the new machine uses different logos. But I've got there! Ta!
And then it wanted my MS password, no-one has asked for that for years, but I surprised myself and managed to reset it, eventually!

And then it wanted my MS password, no-one has asked for that for years, but I surprised myself and managed to reset it, eventually!
That would be a red flag for me. WiFi password yes, that is how books 'get into' the kindle. Amazon password to register the new kindle to your account. Other kindle settings such as text size are local to the device and do not need internet access. We have 3 kindles here, and they get the wifi password and amazon registration, nothing else. MS password, no. (Unless you mean your M&S password ;)).
Andrew.

Back