• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smallbrook Ringway

I will be amazed if they don't go ahead with the proposals, that said, I do hope that they don't.
john reading the report it does not look as though its the council who intends to build yet more accommodations if that is the case then the plan will probably go ahead..all very well building these properties but will they be taken...the complex at perry barr which i believe is owned by the council is still empty a year after the commonwealth games ended...time will tell

lyn

john reading the report it does not look as though its the council who intends to build yet more accommodations if that is the case then the plan will probably go ahead..all very well building these properties but will they be taken...the complex at perry barr which i believe is owned by the council is still empty a year after the commonwealth games ended...time will tell

lyn
I remember going to an apprentice union meeting nearby a couple of Sundays before I left for the US and thinking how grand the Ringway was, and now it’s empty! And lyn your comments about Perry Barr, amazing how short the longevity for a city as old as Birmingham is. They used to build buildings that last 200,300 years and now they tear them down after 60!

I remember going to an apprentice union meeting nearby a couple of Sundays before I left for the US and thinking how grand the Ringway was, and now it’s empty! And lyn your comments about Perry Barr, amazing how short the longevity for a city as old as Birmingham is. They used to build buildings that last 200,300 years and now they tear them down after 60!
Richard, The Perry Barr 'Athletes Village' was not finished in time for the games, and never used. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3gred7zkr8o
The price of one and two bedroom flats is simply too expensive for the people who might want to live there.
There is no parking, because athletes are bussed everywhere. Derek

Last edited:
Richard, The Perry Barr 'Athletes Village' was not finished in time for the games, and never used. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3gred7zkr8o
The price of one and two bedroom flats is simply too expensive for the people who might want to live there.
so begs the question derek why are the perry barr apartments still lying empty...as far as i understand it even if it was finished in time and used as an athletes village when the games were over the apartments would be sold or rented but have they ever been offered for sale or rent ? because living close i go past there a lot and in the past year i have not seen one single for sale/rent notice up so how do we know they are too expensive?...unless of course they have been ear marked for the next games we may hold :rolleyes: and i cant see that happening again or maybe bcc will now just sell off the land either way there has to be a reason why these appartments are still empty ...i just cant see the sense in leaving them empty when they could be generating much needed money...maybe the 3 thousand homes that will be built on the site of the old tower ballroom will not suffer the same fate..i may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but i just do not understand the logic of bcc..
lyn

oops i am going a tad off topic forgot what thread i am on :rolleyes:

Last edited:
so begs the question derek why are the perry barr apartments still lying empty...as far as i understand it even if it was finished in time and used as an athletes village when the games were over the apartments would be sold or rented but have they ever been offered for sale or rent ? because living close i go past there a lot and in the past year i have not seen one single for sale/rent notice up so how do we know they are too expensive?...unless of course they have been ear marked for the next games we may hold :rolleyes: and i cant see that happening again or maybe bcc will now just sell off the land either way there has to be a reason why these appartments are still empty ...i just cant see the sense in leaving them empty when they could be generating much needed money...maybe the 3 thousand homes that will be built on the site of the old tower ballroom will not suffer the same fate..i may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but i just do not understand the logic of bcc..
lyn

'The one and two-bedroom apartments are open to expressions of interest and will be listed for sale between £160,000 and £220,000.' I used my own judgement here based on my knowledge of young people. But you are correct, Lyn in that they have not been offered for sale yet. Perhaps BCC will offer the whole site to a landlord??? But back to the topic of Smallbrook Ringway.

I will be amazed if they don't go ahead with the proposals, that said, I do hope that they don't.

I agree on both counts.

In the piece it says campaigners want it to be repurposed but where's their proposal for this?

All councils are in a weak position fighting against developers now. It is an expensive thing to do.

Wow! That is such a big mistake. Not telling you anything you don’t know. In my world that would be a CTM, career threatening move!

lyn

Lyn, I think you are right on point!

Geoffrey Yap, joint chair of the Birmingham Chinese Festival committee, spoke in favour of the demolition. He said: "When I see the Ringway Centre I see a symbol of Birmingham, which was a car-dominated city. We no longer want this. In 2023, the city will be very different." Who doesn't? Predictable, but sad, it seems the city planning department has not learned anything from the buildings the city has lost over the past sixty years. :(

Perhaps 10 flats with a separate entrance well away from public view
They will mostly be for people with money to burn I guess. Doubt any of them will be "social housing" - the site would be too expensive for a housing association to get involved and (lets face it) the council have no money to invest......

Hang on - belay that last point - that's one of the reasons they got into the mess they are now in in the first place..........spending piles of money they did not have!

In Sutton Coldfield round by us the only new housing that EVER goes up now is retirement apartments...... another 98 going up behind the Odeon / Empire cinema on what was the car park.

Mark
You have forgotten the flats aimed at foreign students - ones from China etc, with rich parents

Where are all the people coming from for these buildings? Organic growth is less than 3% and less in developed countries.
Prior to Covid, money and people from all over the world were coming to Birmingham. There is still a young population, but I'm pretty sure they don't have the sort of income to enable them to live in these city centre flats. My last PhD student has switched to researching computer gaming and aspires to move to the States. She is an EU citizen and very able. In truth Central Birmingham is a building site.

The high rise green space no car vision was planned before three years ago and economic changes. But the planners and developers seem unable to respond to new conditions in an agile way. I am in favour of green space and few cars in the city centre. There is plenty of expensive office space and residential accommodation available for rent at the moment. Perhaps an excess given the outlook.

The high rise green space no car vision was planned before three years ago and economic changes. But the planners and developers seem unable to respond to new conditions in an agile way. I am in favour of green space and few cars in the city centre. There is plenty of expensive office space and residential accommodation available for rent at the moment. Perhaps an excess given the outlook.
Maybe it will be a suburb of London with workers commuting to higher paid jobs in the capital.

Back