• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

The Guy Conquest's has short lives with the Corporation just lasting five to six years.. they were replaced by Daimler single deckers with AOP and BOL registrations. In 1933 the Tramways and Omnibus Committee in formed the Gas Committee that it was experimenting with a single bus that would run on coal gas. It lasted until 1935 when other experiments with a Daimler diesel were successful. That

The Guy Conquest's has short lives with the Corporation just lasting five to six years.. they were replaced by Daimler single deckers with AOP and BOL registrations. In 1933 the Tramways and Omnibus Committee in formed the Gas Committee that it was experimenting with a single bus that would run on coal gas. It lasted until 1935 when other experiments with a Daimler diesel were successful. That
They had originally been normal control vehicles (Driver behind the engine) for one man operation to replace the lightly trafficked Bolton Road trams, but legislation changed regarding OMO buses prohibiting over 30 passengers, so they all went back to Guy Motors in Wolverhampton and were lengthened rebuilt to conventional half-cab (driver beside the engine) layout. Pics below show as new, as rebuilt and running on gas, and the gas powered one being inspected by the then Prince of Wales probably at the B.I.F. at Castle Bromwich. (The headlight is not blacked out, but has an orange glass to assist vision in fog).57  OF 3966.jpg60  OF 3969  gas powered.jpg60  OF 3969 gas bus inspected by the Prince of Wales at the BIF.jpg

IMG_2743.jpeg

Seen in January 1974 resplendent in West Midlands PTE colours is BMMO-built S22 which kept its old fleet number 5902 when transferred from Midland Red with the Birmingham area routes in the previous month. B. L. Thompson

(Britain's Buses in the Serventies. Publication date 1976)

Not Birmingham, but was this used in Brum ?

IMG_2753.jpeg

“World War 2 ultimately saw the Government leaning heavily on operators to use anthracite-burning producer gas trailers to power a proportion of their fleet, and thus save scarce imported fuel. This 1940 picture shows a prototype installation developed by Eastern National and towed by a Leyland of Hicks Bros of Braintree. Each trailer used about one ton of home-produced anthracite a week.”

British buses before 1945 by Aldridge, John. Publication date 1995

wartime grey painted 1930 Vulcan body AEC Regent OG 421. The last without the platform cutaway and opening upstairs rear window. It is pulling a producer gas trailer in 1943...warren farm rd

1691229482352.png

pic Phil

IMG_2722.jpeg

“The Daimler CWA6 with Duple body on the right started out in 1944 as Birmingham 1429. During subsequent service with Eastern National and ater Southend Transport it was converted to oven-top. It Is a resisdent at Castle Point Transport Museum. The vehicle on the left, privately owned ClA6 GLX 913, started out with London Transport. Having been acquired by Southend, it was rebodied by Massey, and later saw service with the local Police. “

(Buses restored 2002.)

By 1922, although no further purchases of omnibuses were made in the interim period, Birmingham Corporation was keen to expand the network of services. However, the Public Works Committee objected to the new omnibuses on the grounds that the solid tyres damaged the roads.:(

Not Birmingham, but was this used in Brum ?

View attachment 182803

“World War 2 ultimately saw the Government leaning heavily on operators to use anthracite-burning producer gas trailers to power a proportion of their fleet, and thus save scarce imported fuel. This 1940 picture shows a prototype installation developed by Eastern National and towed by a Leyland of Hicks Bros of Braintree. Each trailer used about one ton of home-produced anthracite a week.”

British buses before 1945 by Aldridge, John. Publication date 1995
I’m no expert and I’m sure gas was used on vehicles during the war.. but isn’t that effectively just the equivalent of dragging a bomb behind the bus?

i had a lpg powered car in the 70s with a tank in the boot that is a lot more volatile than coal gas no more dangerous than sitting on a tank of petrol

I’m no expert and I’m sure gas was used on vehicles during the war.. but isn’t that effectively just the equivalent of dragging a bomb behind the bus?
Although the producer gas is made by blowing air through burning anthracite, I've never heard of it exploding. Why it doesn't burn in the pipes I don't know, perhaps some knowledgeable scientist can enlighten us!

1655 GOE 655 was one of ten Crossleys supplied to BCT in 1949, 1646 GOE 646 - 1655 GOE 655. Originally promised as an order of 40 but unfulfilled during WW2. All were experimental in on way or another one having sliding ventilators, two having a 'turbo charger' neither on which was a success. 1655 had one fitted and the position, of the oil reservoir on the front bulkhead, can be seen in the photo. The bus had distinct sound to anyone who heard it. Originally to be bodied by Brush they were eventually by Crossley
1647 had a different engine eventually and was the prototype for the later half cab Crossleys 2396 JOJ 396 - 2425 JOJ 425.

1714 HOV 714 was one the Leyland PD2 Specials. Delivered in 1949 - 1656 HOV 656 to 1755 HOV 755, with Brush bodywork.

In my opinion these vehicles 1631 GOE 631 - 1645 GOE 645 were the ugly ducklings of the post WW2 BCT fleet. I think my views were shared by the Transport Committee as no further buses to that design were ordered.
All types to make a world, I used to wait on Stratford rd for one of those or a Guy Arab v , I'd let the others pass.

i used to hope for an AEC Regent OV registered piano front or a Leyland FON registered one which were to be seen on the 29A route.

Back