• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wythall transport museum

Virusman26

master brummie
Hi all.

Due to family responsibilities, I've not been out and about as usual for a while. The last few weeks have been quite good to me with photography in mind, and we went along to the transport museum last weekend with the little one. Included are some shots of the museum, and the family!
IMGP9129.jpg

IMGP9132.jpg

IMGP9148.jpg

IMGP9152.jpg

IMGP9156.jpg

IMGP9161.jpg

IMGP9172.jpg

IMGP9177_1.jpg

IMGP9191.jpg

IMGP9201.jpg

IMGP9208.jpg

And a couple of my gorgeous wife and daughter............
IMGP9217.jpg

IMGP9141.jpg

IMGP9223.jpg

hi neil...great to see you back posting and thanks for the great pics including that of the wife and lovely daughter..it only seems like yesterday that you were telling me she was few months old...

lyn...

Yes Lyn, very true, and with daughter number 2(!!!!!!) on the way it seems like years ago since I last posted up. I'm looking at re-starting my urban exploration this weekend with a very local jolly.......fingers crossed for me!

well congrats to you and the wife on another happy event to look forward to neil...must say i have missed your urban postings but fully understand about family commitments...my camera has been redundant of late......i shall look forward to your pics...

stay safe...

lyn

Great photo's Virusman. I loved visiting the Wythall Transport museum a few years ago. So many interesting things to see, must make another date.

It's a great museum, and so full of people that care about what they are restoring. It's a breathe of fresh air to see some local antiques being restored to a usable state!

I can well remember travelling to Stratford-upon-Avon in the forties on the Midland Red, on a bus with a spiral staircase at the rear. They used to stop in Henley by the Ice Cream parlour & we got off to get an ice cream during the summer months before continuing on with the journey. The buses used to struggle up the hills along the Stratford Road, but they always made it up. Remember a field across to the right as we travelled up Liverage Hill on the return journey that always had lots of rabbits on it.

Harper Bros Leyland PD2 HBF 679D​

i remember traveling on one of these from cannock what a bone shaker

Operator: Harper Bros (Heath Hayes) Ltd
Chassis: Leyland Titan PD2A/27
Engine: Leyland O.600 9.8 litre 6-cylinder diesel
Gearbox: Synchromesh
Body: Metro-Cammell 'Orion' 64 seats
1645466268283.png

Harper Bros Leyland PD2 HBF 679D​

i remember traveling on one of these from cannock what a bone shaker

Operator: Harper Bros (Heath Hayes) Ltd
Chassis: Leyland Titan PD2A/27
Engine: Leyland O.600 9.8 litre 6-cylinder diesel
Gearbox: Synchromesh
Body: Metro-Cammell 'Orion' 64 seats
View attachment 167736
It is currently having a complete body overhaul at the museum. These bus bodies were constructed using the 'lightweight' principles of the time, and were therefore quite 'tinny' in appearance and sound - so yes, a 'bone shaker' in sound and feel!

It is currently having a complete body overhaul at the museum. These bus bodies were constructed using the 'lightweight' principles of the time, and were therefore quite 'tinny' in appearance and sound - so yes, a 'bone shaker' in sound and feel!
but were reliable.

Here are a few more - not brilliant but they capture a time when the museum was in its infancy.
Firstly a panorama of "future projects" awaiting a bit of TLC:-
1646082034537.png

Next some ex-BCT buses - this one is now 85 years old I think:-
1646082654190.png
1646082580110.png
1646082306039.png
1646082757158.png

When I was going to school, if the bus was full I would sit (lay?) on the luggage rack. not comfortable, but better than standing!

Back