• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paget Rd School Pype Hayes

jude

master brummie
Hi y'all anyone on here who attended Paget between '59 and '62?

Would love to hear from you if you did :D

Paget Road, Pype Hayes

I didn't attend Paget Road School as a pupil, but back in the mid 1950s they used to have dances in the school hall, pretty sure they were Sunday nights, about a third of the hall used to have a banner across the top "BOP SHOP" . Lots of Teddy Boys at the time, but in fact a very tame place as you can imagine in a school hall, in the corridor middle aged ladies sold tea and soft drinks, but many used to get a pass out and go for a drink over the road at The Bagot Arms. Many happy nights spent there.

I didn't attend Paget Road either but they were the very best at Track and Field Sports in the l950's. When we had the local Intramural Meets at Jaffray Road Playing Fields in Erdington every Spring...this would be the girls section...Paget Road would take all the main shields. They were formidable for years. My school at that time was Fentham Girls.

Paget Rd

my brother and sister attended this school from mid sixties ..Paul and Louise O'Regan...memories?

I attended Paget Road juniors and then seniors from 1946 to 1956 and so did my brother Leslie. We lived on the corner of Westmead Crescent and Paget Road. I very well remember Mr. Edwards who was very fond of a little corporate punishment if you couldn't get over the horse or climb the ropes. My last teacher was Mr. Roberts, another tough nut.
Anyone remember Mr. Hitchcock (commonly known as Scrachit) ???

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Paget Road School Junior and Infants in the 60’s. (Exact dates have deserted me, but around ’63 ‘til 68) Then I passed my eleven-plus and became a ‘grammar grub’. Don’t remember any of the teachers in the pics, but I remember Miss Woodbine, the headmistress, Mr. Williams (we called him ‘willy-worms’ -but not to his face!) who taught maths, Mr Harvey, a disciplinarian, but had our respect and we were all scared of him! His wife, Mrs. Harvey, who was much kinder, but we were, as stated terrified of her husband! Miss Calendar (or Calender?) who, if I remember correctly married ‘willy-worms’. (We used to sneak to the- I suppose you’d call it a conservatory now- extension outside the corridor opposite Miss Woodbines room to watch them together. Nothing tacky, but they were always in there together!) I remember the bag of sweets Miss Woodbine kept in her draw, and if we did well in a test or were otherwise deserving of praise, we would be sent for and given a sweet or two for our efforts. Then there was Miss Moore, a beautiful blond lady who all us pre-pubescent boys were in love with!!!
It was a great school, despite the harsh punishments if we faltered in our work or manners. Something sadly lacking today. I remember the dinner lady, Mrs. Thomas whose son was the famous Ray of the Moody Blues.
My older sister, who obviously started at the school before me, is now a dinner lady and governor. She would possibly remember you, jude.
Anyhow, thanks for giving me the opportunity to recall days long gone and probably the best of my life. (Though I ain’t done yet!!)
I sometimes look back thinking of the good times. But I always think of loves been and gone, ex’s I would like to see again, holidays and drunken nights (seven- but I’m only allowed to tell you about five of them!) but reading this thread, it brought home the fact that the best times of my life were before I hit double figures. The days of Paget Road School. God bless all those teachers who cared about us, not their salary.

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the Matthew Boulton quote....It brought back memories also as I did my Elec. Eng. night school City and Guilds for 3 years at Matthew Boulton Tech. in Birmingham. That was from 1959 to 1962.

Mike

hi mike ...paget road sec mod was where i ended my days at school mr roberts was my teacher prior to leaving ,he used to pay me five bob to clean his car on the dinner hour which was spent at freers where my sister used to work ,btw do you remember ray taylor of 31 westmead crescent next door to the dwarf !!!!.
dgat

The name sounds slightly familier but I can't really place him. I left my mothers house at 5 Westmead Cres. in 1957 to join the airforce and then moved on to Sutton Coldfield, Lichfield, Ireland and finally Canada. I still go back every September to visit my mother who now has a bungalow just above Tyburn Road off Paget Road.

believe it or not i am looking at my report book PAGET ROAD
SECONDARY MODERN SCHOOL
FOR BOYS
sept 1953 to july 1955
headmaster MrA L Drayton
Form Master J Rowe 1954

Head Master A L Drayton
Form Master R L Parkes 1955 he would think nothing of throwing a blackboard rubber at you if you were not paying attention to what he was saying (could not get away with that these days)
brian baker

~I wonder if that Mr Parkes moved to Birches Green school...we had a teacher same name (and I think same initials )who would do that..he had a moustache and a fearsome face

hi Susan that sounds like him ,i also remember he was fair but very very strict i remeber when i was in his class we had a six foot pupil and he was the cop of the school .and this day he was being clever as he thought by annoying mr Parker and mr Parker made believe he was letting him get away with it but mr Parker and casually called him to the front of the class and he did no more than grab him by the hair and turn his head and slapped his face saying YOU SILLY LITTLE BOY he then had the greatest respect for mr Parker
mind you he would have been arrested and put away today
brian baker
ps:i used to live just off birches green road i lived in round road

brian

Hi All,

FYI<
I just checked my Scholar's Leaving Certificate. It was signed and dated 28-03-56 (three days before my 15th. birthday) by Mr Drayton. It basically just says... Quote: "Michael should do well in a career of his choosing".
I ended my working life as Corporate Engineering Project Manager for a large international company in Canada so I guess I didn't do too bad with an education at Paget Road Boys School.
BTW,
When I was at the school 1952 to 1956 Mr Parkers obvious nickname was nosy parker.

Mike Walker

hi Susan that sounds like him ,i also remember he was fair but very very strict i remeber when i was in his class we had a six foot pupil and he was the cop of the school .and this day he was being clever as he thought by annoying mr Parker and mr Parker made believe he was letting him get away with it but mr Parker and casually called him to the front of the class and he did no more than grab him by the hair and turn his head and slapped his face saying YOU SILLY LITTLE BOY he then had the greatest respect for mr Parker
mind you he would have been arrested and put away today
brian baker
ps:i used to live just off birches green road i lived in round road

brian
Hi,thanks for the memories(should I compose a song???)...my brother lives in Portugal now ,and his PC has had a wobbler,when it recovers I will forward all these emails to him,he will love them....even though he was a big tough copper(again old school,nothing wrong with telling it like it is?)he is nostalgic too......did you live off Birches green about the time there was a big old empty house up near Rookery Park...we used to play in that

Hi JennyAnn,

Just remembering the annual schools sports at Jaffrey Road you mentioned. I have a photo of when I was a member of the Paget Road Boys School winners of the Birmingham Shield for athletics. I think it was 1953. I don't seem to be able to attach it to this message though (maybe someone can help).
Your mention of Fentham Road Girls School also sparked a long forgoten memory. I was a member of the school choir singing at the Birmingham Town Hall in maybe 1954 and spotted this beautiful little blond girl in the front row of the Fentham Road contingent. Never did get to meet her or find out who she was (perhaps it was you ?).

Mike

Hi Mike: Thanks for the post re Inter mural Sports at Jaffray Road. Paget Road School had some excellent athletes in the early l950's and at Fentham we knew we were up against stiff opposition. Obviously, my memories are of really admiring Paget Road winners of the shields on those sports days. Jaffray Road was a great place for such an event and we always had a great time. I remember seeing dry ice for the first time at one Sports Day when we were treated to ice cream. Fentham girls played Field Hockey at Jaffray Road usually in the colder months. I hated getting my ankles hit by those sticks!

About the little blond girl at the Town Hall concerts. I wonder who she was? I'm a natural redhead. There were a few natural blond haired girls at Fentham in those days. I will have a look at the 11 - 8x10's I have of classes from around that time and see if I can find anyone who might be that girl.

I have kept in close touch with a few girls from Fentham and four years ago we had a reunion at Sutton Town Hall to which 375 ex-Fentham Girls attended. I came over just to attend this reunion. It was a wonderful day.

would think nothing of throwing a blackboard rubber at you if you were not paying attention
brian baker

I’m back after a couple of months of limited internet access due to a number of issues both technical and personal. I’m catching up with my forum connections and thought I’d rejuvenate this topic. Or try!
The blackboard rubber throwing posts insisted I mention my older school days. As previously stated, I went to Paget Road Infants and Junior. Then I passed my eleven plus and went to Marsh Hill Grammar Technical School as it was then known. We had a geography teacher, Mr Platt who was of the same persuasion. If while writing on the blackboard he heard any murmurings he would spin around and launch said rubber in the direction of the noise. His aim was uncanny! Without stopping to look, he would throw it at the source of the interruption. He also had a habit of going to the Stockland pub most lunchtimes and downing six or seven pints. He would come back, up to the third floor where his room, 15, was at the end of the corridor, and if there was any noise coming from the room he would quite violently sling the door open, often taking it off its hinges to the point where the caretaker refused to paint the door as a replacement or repair would soon be required again! Another of his favourite punishments was to smash a desk, remove the length of wood that edged the lid and use that to beat anybody who offended his sensibilities. Often while taking history in room 14 with Mr Handley, we would hear the sound of wood cracking, and then howls of pain mingled with the dull thud of backside versus timber! Mr Handley would momentarily suspend his discourse while waiting for quiet to fall again; perhaps commenting that Mr Platt was upset at somebody.
Mr Handley, though not averse to physical punishment would quite often use our own silly behaviour against us by bringing us to the front of the class and making us repeat our indiscretion in full view. It never did seem quite so clever afterwards!
Mr Probert, another geography teacher we had later in our school life never, as far as I can remember resorted to physical punishment. I do recall him keeping a cane in his study at the back of the class, and maybe he did on occasion resort to it's use. Though old then, in the late 60’s early 70’s and not, as I remember a particularly large man had an air of authority that we respected, and his tone of voice and expression was enough to make us realise we were at the limit of the acceptable. As with one or two other members of staff, he still wore his gown, though he had dispensed with his mortarboard.
We had real respect for them, and yes, there was an element of fear but we grew up the better for it. Had I gone home and told my dad a teacher had done any of these things, I would have been asked why and the least I could have expected was to be told ‘serves you right then’ if not further punishment at his hands. There would certainly not have been any thought of complaining to the school or contacting the police or solicitors. It puts me in mind of a quote my mother often used- ‘you have to be cruel to be kind’. We were being given lessons that would benefit and sustain us in our adult life. And they have, for me at least.

Hi derick here, I was at paget for about a year in 53, I would have been 5, my brother Roger would have been 7ish and eldest brother Donald 9.

I can remember starting school here, and for some odd reason being taken to other classes to show how good I could sing! (I still sing in choirs today)

I have seen it since, but Roger was that bit older and remembers a bit more than I.

best wishes

We liver for a short time in Turfton grove, then parents split up and we moved on

Back