• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Martin Hone's Opposite Lock Club in Gas Street, backing onto the canal.
Some wonderful jazz nights there - and a few folk went into the cut afterwards I suspect!
Martin Hone was the 'main man' in organising Brum's Grand Prix.

Hi, everyone.

I have joined this forum, 'specially to allow me to contribute to this thread.

At the age of 16, around Easter of 1973, I worked for a few weeks as a dancer at the Locarno. After that, I was offered, and took, a job at La Dolce Vita which was diagonally opposite, on Smallbrook queensway. I worked there, as a go go dancer, for about 18 months and absolutely loved it.

I also frequented the Patrick club [on a couple of occasions when i was taken there] which was up the side of the hippodrome, i think - and also the Garry Owen club in Small Heath. This place didn't close until the last customer had left, and had the best steak sandwiches in Brum, at that time. We also, sometimes, went across to Barbarellas, The Club Cedar, and Snoopy's.

I loved, with a passion, working at La Dolce Vita - it was the one place where i felt free and confident, and on top of the world. I guess this was partly because this is where i fell in love for the first time - and where i escaped 'normality' for brief periods of time. This was at the time of the pub bombings, I think - I know we had many bomb scares and often had to evacuate the club.

I only went to the Barn, Solihull [Hockley Heath] a couple of times. I thought it quite fun, at first, but then realised that the revolving dance floor turned it into rather a cattle market - the chaps standing round the edge while a steady procession of young ladies went past their eyes. Not so good. For the same reason, I didn't much like the beer keller - where a balcony on the first floor enabled chaps to look down on the ladies.

Gosh - I have just remembered that the Dolce had a dance floor that lowered and rose. In the caberet room, upstairs.

I also worked, from time to time, at Bloomers, at the Swan, Yardley - as this club was owned by the same people as La Dolce Vita - so staff were shared as and when necessary.

Thanks to anyone who's taken time to read my little reminissing.

[I am now a teacher, btw - a far cry from being a little blonde go go dancer]

The Whisky a Go Go

The 60's in Brum were the best for live Mod bands, specially at The Whiskey a Go Go above Chetwyns on the corner of John Bright Street and Hill Street. The whiskey was unique in the fact that not only did the local bands King Bee's, Modonaires, Jugs O'Henry, Moody Blues, Denny Lane, Spencer Davis play there, but also people from the states. "Motown" & "R&B" greats like Sonny Boy Williamson & Ike and Tina Turner sang there. All nighters on Fridays till 8am Saturday mornings and again on Saturday nights till Sunday morning. The owners Chris & Steve Healey were two great guys who were there to welcome us all every night the Whiskey was open. They both wore natty striped jackets as I remember.
I have been told that Steve still has a book that records all the bands and singers of that time that they booked up, such as The Faces, Long John Baldry & The Steam Packet, and Gary Farr and The Knockouts. I remember Georgie Fame playing virtually all night. They couldn't get him off the small stage until he collapsed with exhaustion, or lack of stimulation's.
Great Brummie characters of the time also frequented The Whiskey; Sean Mahoney, Billy Sutton, Billy & Dodger Thompson (rip), Colin Mythan (rip), Noel Barnes, Chris and Gary Burgess, Jock Ellis, Duffy, Bugsy, Chris Wolsey, Mushy Moriearty, Kenny Frazer, Rob Marsh, Popeye, Dicky Martin, Bobby Brown, Henry O'Neil, Eddy The Jew, Jonnie Hutton, Percy McIver, Tony Baker, Jim Cheesby, Kenny Bull, Dorian Walford. Black H (rip) and Spencer, who were both 60's & 70's local Brummie DJ's with Caribbean and soul backgrounds learnt their trade at the Whisky.
The place buzzed for three years until it changed hands and became the Marquee in 1968. And the chicks that went there were out of this world. One group were called "The Magnificent Ten" which included Esther, Cherrie, Lela, Betty Smart, Pat Smith, The O'Brian Sisters, Linda Walton, Oriel Teeger & Heather. Other male groups of people were nick named "The Martini Set", "The T-set" and the "Coca Cola Boy's". It was cult and leading edge for urban 60's live Motown & blues band music, dance styles and fashions emanated from the "Whisky".
They used to pack in nearly 250 townies and mods onto both floors in those days with no fire escapes only a small front door with narrow wooden steps up to the 1st and 2nd floor's. Live bands on the 1st floor and DJ's on the top floor. Many dudes where "knocked back" at the door if you weren't part of the crowd, as they could not get everybody in the gaff.
People would fall asleep on the wooden floor after they tired from dancing at about 5pm, but the bands and DJ's played on till about 8am. the following morning. Money and stuff all over the floor, came out of peoples pockets, it was like an "Aladdin's Den"
Do you remember that the phrase 'Nice One' which spread all over the country came from the Whiskey? There was a west Indian guy of about 40 (seemed really old then) who used to come up and dance on his own. After each record he would shout 'Nice One' which was soon picked up and used by all. Can't remember his name.
After we crashed out again in the mornings at the KD (Kardoma) coffee bar in New Street, we went on to the West End Dance Hall Saturday afternoon dance. We then had the energy to go to the "All Nighters" at the Town Hall. Spencer Davis with Steve Winwood were classic, along with the other Blues bands of the time. The Whiskey attracted people from all over the midlands, including Coventry and London scene, to dance and hear live music of the era, that was very ahead of pop culture in England at that time! If the Town Hall gigs weren't on, we used to go to "The Twisted Wheel" in Manchester that also played Motown & Blues".
In the summer of 1966 & 1967 you would find most of the guy's and girls of the Brum scene in Margate our favorite haunt on Bank Holidays, the centre of Birmingham used to be empty. it was a mad exodus by scooters, cars, thrumming and by train, jumped of coarse! We used to get of the train too Watford, where the local geezer Phil Manall used to offer us shelter and food after he took us to the local clubs and the "Milk Bar" in Watford High St. Sometimes we would go to the "East End" where another cockney dude Barry Lane looked after us in transit to Margate. Barry Lane also came up to Birmingham and came with us to Jersey in 1968, we made him an honoree Brummie.
In 1968 after the Whisky days ended we mostly took of and all worked the season in Jersey, well that's another story for another day.

Other live Mod band venues we frequented where the "Lafayette" and "The Connaught Suite" in Wolverhampton with Brian & Judy Franklin, the local leader Aggie and his mates.
The Matrix Club, Fortythievs & The Leofric hotel, in Coventry were other great venues where we mixed with the Cov crowd of Terry Green, Terry Shone, Tony Rieley, Paul Gardiner, Paddy McGurk, Guy Marshall ,Freddy McFarland, Rodney Joyce, Jim Snow, Ernie Clark, Wally Parker (rip), Frank Guin, Owen Ferry, Ernie Sower, Tilley /graham Rutherford, Con McGrogan, Dave & Mickey Snape, Brian Fanning (rip) and many more that also joined us at the Whisky agogo and in 1968 in Jersey.

We had a Whiskey reunion in 2007 at Solihull Arden Tennis Club. Organized by Chris & Viv Wolsey and Bobby Summers, 150 original people including the Whiskey owner Steve Healey attended.

The reunion was DJ'ed by the refreshingly knowledgeable Mike Hollis of "Smooth Radio", 40 years after the Whiskey a Go Go closed in 1967. Nobody was knocked back at this gig though!! People came from as far away as Norway, France and all over the U.K. to meet each other again for the first time in all those years. It was a great nostalgic and emotional night . We intend to do it again in 10 years, God willing!!

Last edited:
Bob, excellent post and photo's. That was like listening to my husband telling me what he did as a teenager. He went to the "Whiskey" and trips to the Twisted Wheel Manchester, The Cavern Liverpool. And often to London with his mates... I will get him to post some names and memories.

Bob, Great post I remember all those names especially Shaun and Roger Thompson.I used to go around with Diane Murral and Valarie Wallker, and loved the Whisky. We went to Margate when all the trouble was there. Did you go to the Plaza Rookery rd. Please dont leave the next reunion to long

In 1962 I worked for a few months at Prestages, which was a car dealers in Station Street by the old Rep theatre

Anyway someone had the bright idea of opening the Locarno at lunch time for all the office and shop workers

It was great, you could go to a disco in your lunch break! :D
i can remember going to the lunch time disco i worked over the road from there at mapstones news paper warehouse and a group of us used to go over and have a dance. also our boss used to get free tickets for shows at the hippodrome and he used to let us girls have them i saw many a star there like cliff and jess conrad joe brown gene pitney gerry and pacemakers searchers and lots more.we also went to silver blades sometimes couldnt do it now though,remember the dolchi vita too .can you remember the bikers cafe just in that area it was called alexs i can remember my bro going there with his mates.cheers for now.

Whisky Reunion Next One

We are so pleased that people enjoyed the WHISKY A GO GO thread. We will be having another reunion bash in the future, and maybe a luncheon in town.
If you genuinely went to the Whisky and would like to meet the other guys and girls who dossed out there get in touch by e mail to [email protected]

Here's a few more pictures from the 60's. if anyone has some photos of the time of the Whisky or West End please send them to the e mail address above or add to this thread.

Bob, Great post I remember all those names especially Shaun and Roger Thompson.I used to go around with Diane Murral and Valarie Wallker, and loved the Whisky. We went to Margate when all the trouble was there. Did you go to the Plaza Rookery rd. Please dont leave the next reunion to long

Patty I do recall you from your picture, I and my mates used to go to the other Regan club "The Ritze" in Kings Heath.

See the photo of the boys from the Ritze

mods

Hi,Bob some good reading there,and lots of names i know only some of them,there is a difference in age groups who used to knock about to gether in the whiskey days,i dont know what you mean when you say people who genuinely went there

Do you remember Little Colin and Big Collin i dont remember the surname's remember some body had a brand new Vespa and some one said give us a go on it,most mods had Lambretta's this geezer shot up Navigation St
turn round came down and came off on the bend at the bottom the scooter going round and round it was in a mess

And having your hand stamped when you wanted a pass out to have a stroll round town

Birmingham Nightclubs and pubs in the 1970's

Where do I start. I remember Barberellas, The Elbow Room, The Tower Ballroom...but the places we liked best were Rebeccas and Bloomers. I remember Bloomers was at the Swan, There was a dancer called "Dirty Gerty" and the DJ was called "Jolly Roger". Rebeccas was brilliant. It was on three levels I seem to remember the lower level was called "the sin bin" which played reggae the upper two played Soul Music and I remember they played rock/current music.......we went there a lot but I cannot remember where it was!!!!! I also remember Bogarts which was a rock music venue we went there on Saturday lunch times to see the live bands and on Weekends and Wednesday nights...it was always packed and had strange toilets. We used to eat in "the Great American Disaster" which was in the same street as the Windsor Pub...it had fantastic cocktails.
Happy Days

Some places we liked in the early 80's which I don't think anyone has mentioned:

The Power House, Hurst St.
Le Pub, Cannon St? (or one of the roads parallel?)
Sam Wellers (near to Edwards No. 7? can't really remember! :neutral:)
Faces, Broad St.

Rebeccas

I cant remember the name of the road but Rebeccas was in a side passage off New Street on the opposite side to the station entrance and further up.I had my lovely Maxi coat stolen there one New Years eve !!!:redface: How about Le Metro ???11

I can remember a party we had at Rebeccas for three of our friends who went to Austrailia. Rebeccas was in Lower Severn Street.

night clubs

I don't know if anyone remembers the Arcade Club New st, a favourite of the townies, I worked there in 75, it was a private members club. when all the other clubs closed the staff drank there until the sun came up great times. the Garry Owen served the best steak in town, great clubs, elbow room, cedar club, rum runner, sloopys, to name just a few.

Here's a teaser: can anyone name the four clubs in Birmingham that have the same name now as they did in the early 70s....

The Carlton club Erdington.

:D I loved the Carlton club where the Spencer Davies group played. Although small it was very intimate and friendly. I don't ever remember any trouble. When the bowling alley was built I spent most of my fun time there. There was a small club upstairs. Mind you there was many a punch up there. :D By. Jean.

Jean, the trouble at Mothers usually started when the pubs closed and
the fellows came and found their girlfriends dancing with other blokes.
I remember people standing on chairs for a better look at the action. It wasn't that serious for the most part and the "big" boys were on hand to calm things down.

Happy Days

Here's me thinking that they were all fighting to take me home...:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:.....lollollollollollollol....Cat

I went with 2 girls that I worked with at Edward Grey Dept. Store in Bull Street to the Brum Cavern a couple of times. I think this was in Small Heath, just off the main road.

I saw the Cheetahs there and also met my husband there.He asked me for a dance as I was left out and my answer was "Yes, okay if you will put this packet of cigarettes in your pocket while we dance" !!! We have now been together since 1964.

As I lived in Four Oaks in Sutton I had to leave early to get the bus into town and then my last bus home was at 10.05 pm in those days.

Does anyone know if its still there?

The Night Out

We used to get free tickets, usually, for the Night Out Club on Bristol Street in the 70s and 80s and have seen various groups.

One night, I had gone to the ladies toilets with my friend and in walked a male member of staff telling us to get out but wouldn't say why. Eventually, we did as we were told and everybody had to stand out on the streets. There were no signs of our husbands anywhere for a very long time. In the meantime they had some street musicans playing to us.

It turned out that there had been a bomb scare but our husbands had gone round all the tables drinking up people's left-over beer!!! ("yuk")

We were eventually let back in and the show continued.

The last time I went was in the 80s to see the Stylistics, again with free tickets.

The best time was when I saw Gene Pitney who was my favourite singer and I got a signed record "Trans Canada Highway". Unfortunately, he is no longer with us as he died a couple of years ago. I saw him 7 times, 6 in Birmingham and once at Bailey's Nightclub in Liverpool (again on free tickets which we were told would have cost us 10/- (50p in decimal currency) although in Birmingham it would have cost about £4 then.

Brenda I loved the night out and Gene Pitney was a favourite of mine also I still have a signed LP from when I saw him at the Cresta Club his voice was amazing just like his records......sad he died so soon!

Eddie Fewtrell

Did anyone see a programe on Eddie Fewtrell perhaps last week or the week before? A friend told me he watched it but cant recall which channel. Anyone know as I would like to see it and wondered if I could get it on one of these new sites on the computer. I dont know how to use them so any help would be appreciated

nite clubs of brum

awwwwww the times ,i had in sloopys with that magical dance floor ,it made me feel like john travolta ,but probably danced like john wayne ....after he got off his horse .does anyone remember bloomers in yardley ,fab times ?

mates by irvine sellars

does anyone remember the irvine sellars mens shop in high st brum town centre ? i was trainee assistant manager for a time back in 75 -76.......top notch gear . we all used to go to the locarno or la dolce vita for our "do's" . christmas of 75 we had a "do" at dolce's my area manager had his eye on a particular babe ,she was dancing ,he promptly sent me over to her to ask her to join him .."tell her i'm a film director " he said .....i went over ....and got promptly knocked on my aspidistra by her boyfriend who my area manager with tunnel vision hadn't seen ! I lasted another month !!!!

odd spot

wow so many memories ,remember before all day drinkin ,we'd look for a watering hole when we were on a friday or saturday all day bender ,personally as a teenager or straight off the train on leave from the army ,i'd start at the parisianne ,onto costermongers when they closed ,off to the pub opposite the rag market for the free and easy when that shut off to the odd spot for a brilliant afternoon of disco dancing and ........extremely expensive beer .a bottle of newcastle brown ....£1.25 ..shocking ......lager 80p .....THUD!...what a place Trudi and her pink (or peach) poodle ,Trevor the bouncer, top bloke, bar, staff were all babes, with the exception of the male bar staff ,after all i am a manly man with manly virtues . the Duck or Grouse notice when you went the loo , the ever flooded loo! The bump on the head cos you had forgotten about the Duck or Grouse notice when you had finished in the flooded loo !! All types came there ,i remember when the blues got sent down in the early /mid 80s half the team turned up at the odd spot ....before not too long before an important match ! No i am not a villa fan ,lol.......from there off to teddy's new st, hole in the wall back to coster's and at throwing out time to SLOOPY'S . As a 17/18 yr old i had my halcyon days pretty early lol

Well this has brought some memories back for me - as a 17/18 year old It was "up the town" every friday saturday and sunday night (if I had any money left).

Would start off at the costermonger, then down to the Tavern in the Town,
round the corner to the Guilded Cage, then off to the Parasol or the Grapes,
then .. slowing down all the time ! ... the Parisian and last but by no means least Sloopys !

I also remember Bloomers at the Swan Yardley, usually there on a Thursday night about once every couple of months, I met my Husband there.

Other places were Rebeccas and Barbarellas , Locarno, Top Rank , Cedar Club,
Elbow Room, oh the list is endless ..... ah the good old days !!:):):):):):)

Oh Diane you must be the same age as me I remember them all!:rolleyes: You missed out the Rum Runner.

Hi Mama P

Yes could be abt same age - I'm 52 , I remember the rum runner but didn't go there very often - I always had difficulty getting in there ( my youthful looks ) ha! ha!

Used to go to The Piccadilly as well, that was in Picadilly Arcade at the top of New Street, and the Bier Keller (the one with Bogarts upstairs) , every friday lunchtime I would pop out of work go straight to the "fancy silk store" in the old bullring and get myself a small piece of satin, after that straight to the jewellry stall in the market and buy a pair of flowery earrings to match the colour of the satin, then when I got home it would be to get ready and put on my "Trevira" two tone coat sporting my new satin hankie (in top pocket) and my new earrings, those things were a must then If you was a "townie"!

Sheepskin coats, Suede knee high boots, Ben Sherman, Jaytex , platform shoes, oh It is all coming back to me !!

Tamla Motown - brill !! :D:D:D:);)

Back