• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Houldcroft

Skenyon

proper brummie kid
Hi

I'm creating a family tree/history book of my dad's ancestors to share with his siblings as we lost Dad to Covid last year and his siblings, who all live abroad, are coming back for a get together next May.

I've found tons of information from ancestry.co.uk and on this fantastic forum but I'm struggling to find much on his grandmother, Ada Houldcroft. She seems to disappear from the records for decades. Here's what I do know:

Ada was born 21.04.1890 in a back to back on Tower Street. She is on the 1891 census living at Back of 37 No.4 Tower Street.

Her siblings are Mary (Jan 1866), Sarah (May 1867, Emily (June 1874), Eleanor (June 1877), William (Jan 1880), Alfred (Jan 1882 - died in WWI), Elizabeth (Jan 1884) and Phoebe (Aug 1886). (There may have been others who died very young but I can't say for sure)
In 1901 (after Joseph's death) the family are living at 13 Court 20 House Hospital Street.

Then she seems to disappear until 1939 when Ada is living at 1 Back 8 Moreton Street with a widower named William Chambers. Jack is also living with them. I've been able to find some of her siblings in the 1911 census but only after they've married and set up homes of their own.

Ada married John Winfield on 09.09.1923. She had my grandfather John Joseph Houldcroft (known as Jack) on 27.01.1923 in the Hospital at 99 Dudley Road (she doesn't appear to have been an inmate at the workhouse as far as I can see). As far as the family are aware, John Winfield wasn't Jack's father.

Ada's father, Joseph Houldcroft was born at 28 Hurst Street in 1845 to George Houldcroft and Mary Ann Priest. Joseph married Mary Ann Fairbrother on 10.03.1874

Any information that anyone can provide will be very gratefully received

hi skenyon...condolences to your family on the loss of your dad...i am sure one or two of our members will see if they can help you...i will also take a look myself i take it its the 1911 census you cant find ada on...

lyn

I can only see the search results (which are not always accurate) but on the 1930 ER she is listed at 230 Hospital St. One of the other people listed with the same address is a William Chambers.

On the 1921 Ada appears to be living at 149 (or back of) Summer Lane with John Winfield. She is listed as Winfield and with them is her/their daughter Jane Elizabeth. She was b1916 listed as Holdcroft no mmn.

Last edited:
In 1927 and 1930 John Winfield seems to be at the same address as on the marriage cert ie back of 149 Summer Lane but no sign of Ada
1668710033788.png

A photo from the 'Courtyards and Yards of Brum' thread might be of interest ... it is nearby Court 17 and shows how conditions were long ago.
A courtyard picture and it must be 17 Crt Hospital Street because the cameraman chalked the address on the house wall.
index.php
There are also photos of Hospital Street in the 'Old Street Pics' thread see
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-street-pics.38737/post-643694
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-street-pics.38737/post-643640

I wondered if she was in an institution (I don't think records on Ancestry go to 1920s). Could be a variety of reasons some of which we recognise as illnesses today.

I wondered if she was in an institution (I don't think records on Ancestry go to 1920s). Could be a variety of reasons some of which we recognise as illnesses today.
thats very true jan....so far i cant find ada on the 1911

on the 39 eve of war ada is down as married so where was hubby john winfield..actually he is not down on the 1930 e rolls at 230 hospital st either

lyn

Last edited:
First thought would be that they split up some time between 1921 (when they are together at Summer Lane) and 1927 (when Ada is no longer listed there) or 1930 (when they are at different addresses).

The Jane and Wiliam who are with Ada on the 1939 register are her daughter & son in law.

not that it helps much but i think ive found adas mom mary houldcroft on the 1911 living at 4 back of 18 hunters road hockley..she is down as a boarder

lyn

I can't find Ada in 1911 either. I've found most of her siblings (can't find one sister) and she doesn't seem to be with any of them.

We've filled some of the gap and her daughter's birth/baptism should give a 1915 address.

Thank you all so much for your help - this goes way beyond anything I'd hoped for! I'll take a look at everything properly tomorrow and try to answer any queries if I can

hi skenyon...condolences to your family on the loss of your dad...i am sure one or two of our members will see if they can help you...i will also take a look myself i take it its the 1911 census you cant find ada on...

lyn
Thank you so much - everyone's been an incredible help already. Yes it's the 1911 census I haven't been able to find her on.

we are always happy to help....yes take your time reading all of the above posts so that you do not miss anything we have posted...

lyn

Skenyon , keep an open mind when doing your research.

In days when people o told their details to officials , who often were not that good at spelling, the names can get distorted.
Looking through your family with the dates you have given the names have been given on record as Houldcroft, Holdcroft and Holcroft.
Good luck with the family tree, you will find it a really rewarding undertaking.
Alberta

Did Ada have a middle name of Elizabeth? If so then I am wondering if it is her on the erolls under that name?
I haven't seen a middle name for her anywhere yet, perhaps it will be on John Joseph's birth certificate (which I've now ordered)

Back