• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Blackham 11220 Worcestershire R and 389136 Labour Corp.

MILLS

master brummie
A soldier with a very interesting WW1 service.
Enlisted in June, 1908 served in France 1914/1915, wounded in 1914 and court martialled December, 1915. Transferred to the Labour Corp. instead of serving 18 months detention? Discharged in March, 1919 suffering from Malaria and issued with a silver wound badge and pension.

Trying to fill in his life.
Born Q1 1887 Aston, Birmingham. When he enlisted in June, 1908 he stated he was 21 yrs 10 mths.
1891 Census he is living at 6 Mt Pleasant Grove, Aston.
1901 Census living at 12 Mount Pleasant Grove, Aston.
1911 Census in India with the 2nd Battalion, Worcestershire R.
1919 discharge papers records him living at 91 Francis Rd, Haymills, Yardley.
Then he appears to disappear.

If anyone can either find where he goes or can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.
Thank you,
David

91 Francis Road is occupied by George's sister May (Titmus) and family in 1921.

Apart from that the only thing is a departure record for a George Blackham (with wife) in 1959 to Canada. The dob is given as 21 Jan 1887 which doesn't quite match age when enlisting but does his birth registration and that is the only one in England/Wales for that quarter.

Last edited:

Apart from that the only thing is a departure record for a George Blackham (with wife) in 1959 to Canada. The dob is given as 21 Jan 1887 which doesn't quite match age when enlisting but does his birth registration and that is the only one in England/Wales for that quarter.
MWS,
Thank you for that.
I couldn't find any marriage to link to the Canada departure so I put that to one side.

ship entry for the George Blackham who went to Canada in 1959
1664189422350.png

Something odd as their entry into UK from Canada to the same address lists wife as Laura.
1664189553141.png
If it is Laura then I don't think it is the right person as the marriage lists George's Father as Thomas but the census entries in post 1 have Father as John.
1664189687407.png

After that it is difficult as there seem to be several George Blackham's on the eroll.
Just realised the address on the marriage cert is Mount Pleasant. I am confused.

Last edited:
It's definitely not the George Blackham you've clarified, as he and his wife (Laura) originally emigrated in 1912.

The Clarkes are still at 12 Lime Grove on the 1921 census but George Blackham is no longer there.
Thank you both.
I found 1918/20 erolls and put to one side. But 12
Lime Grove is 12 Mt Pleasant Grove. I didn't find marriage but I need to check his enlistment papers, he was "single " on his pension papers.
I will look through my research tonight and get back.

Just checked the address from the ships record.
4 Circular Road on 1957 and 1960 erolls was the home of Thomas and Maud Baker.
Laura (Hood) wife from the marriage cert had a sister Maud and there is a marriage of a Maud Hood to a Thomas Baker. So looks as if they stayed with her sister in 1959.
Still doesn't help but does answer the address.

The Clarkes are still at 12 Lime Grove on the 1921 census but George Blackham is no longer there.
The George who married Laura is on the 1921 Canada census with 2 daughters - Ethel born UK and Laura born Canada

Last edited:
The George who married Laura is on the 1921 Canada census with 2 daughters - Ethel born UK and Laura born Canada
I am now totally confused. He said he was single when enlisting in 1908. I am waiting for some information from his desertion papers and his pension papers. I am not to hopeful that they will be any further help because they date to 1915 and 1919. Fingers crossed though

I am as well. The bit which worries me is the address on the marriage cert. I know Father's name is wrong but that happens.
Going to try to check an idea out later.

So, are you saying there is only one George Blackham and there are 2 listings for him on the 1911 census - one in India and one in Bham with his wife and daughter?

Could his wife have filled out the census and misunderstood what was being asked?

I think that is a possibility. However, that does not account for them going to Canada in 1912 and him possibly being a deserter in 1915 (as in post #18).

I have repied but my messages are not getting through.
MWS, Janice,
Sorry I have not replied sooner but my previous messages were getting lost in the ether.
I need to get out the information I have been able to assemble so I will do this this evening. I have another address for 1921 for him.
David

Janice,

I'm in France and thought that was the problem. It's been a week!
Anyway here we go.
On his transfer papers to the Labour Corp. they make reference to him "has a drink problem". His charge sheet from 1908 until 1915 shows only drink related charges.
So if his marriage is correct , right address, wrong Fathers name, should be John, and he was not an "Agent" was in fact a Labourer. but it could still be correct.
The 1911 census for being in Birmingham is incorrect as he was with his Regiment in India and clearly as that, not absent!
When he enlisted in 1908 he said he was "single", but again he could still have been married.
From 1920 he is listed at 12, Lime Grove, Yardley.
A new address from his pension card lists him at 693, Warwick Road, Tyseley. on 13 June, 1921 when his pension ended.
I think the Canada reference for 1912 is wrong as he was definitely with his Regiment in India until outbreak of WW1.
If anyone can piece his life after 1920 I would be extremely grateful. To date it's been forward then backwards.
\thank you.
David

The Warwick Road address appears to be the home of his cousin, John Blackham the son of James. James was a younger brother of George's father John.

The marriage certainly seems to be associated with the Canada reference of 1912.

Agree that marriage links to Canada. The family are listed on the 1921 Canada census.
The age on the 1907 marriage puts that George as born in 1885 not the 1887 of the "Canada George".
Not sure if this helps or not but I think John has a brother Thomas but I couldn't link him to a George.
We know 12 Lime Grove is right as 1918 eroll gives his army number.

All the addresses from his military records can be associated with his relatives so he is definitely son of John and Emma.

Both George and Laura lie about their ages on the marriage - the dobs on the Canada records you posted put them both 2 years older (for George matching his birth reg.). Would this make them underage at this time?

With the address listed on the marriage (and despite the other errors) I can't see how the George that marries Laura is not the same George. How the conflicts in the other records are resolved I'm not sure.

Certainly a lot of conflicting information. I wonder if he uses addresses to suit his circumstances having no fixed abode. Another George marries in 1907 who is living at the address our George also uses. When he enlisted he states he is single, on all of the pension papers he is single, wouldn't he have claimed for a wife and any children, for the extra money?
Looks like after 1921 he disappeared from a research point of view.
Thank you both for taking so much time to try and trace George Blackham.
David

The Warwick Road address appears to be the home of his cousin, John Blackham the son of James. James was a younger brother of George's father John.
1922 eroll lists John Blackham at that address but the main occupants seem to be Francis and Mary Ann Foxall
1664725299260.png

More evidence that George of the Worc. Reg/Labour Corps and the George that married Laura Ethel Hood and went to Canada are the same person.

George's sister Ethel emigrated to Canada in 1913 and on her emigration record (I think) it says to Brother in the CPE.

And when she marries Walter Sivier in 1919 (second husband) one of the witnesses is Laura Ethel Blackham.

Can't see the actual records so I do have 2 questions.

Was George's service continuous? He didn't leave and then re-join at the outbreak of the war?

And what was the occupation he put when his daughter Ethel Gertrude was baptised?

Back