• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smudger, while they look nice they can do a lot of damage to trees and houses. On one of our houses, Tudor style they did thousands of $ in damage and were most difficult to get rid of. My wife found someone who installed large mechanical battery powered bugs on the sides of the house. This was after calling in exterminators etc who did nothing. They were about 18” long (don’t laugh) but they stopped the woodpeckers! Then we had to have them take down.
have you any pics of the bugs?

After a severe attack of box caterpillar on my box hedging last year it seems to have recoverEd. Thought I was going to have to dig it all out. Just started clipping it and so far, not seen any eggs or caterpillars. Also installed two of these pheromone traps. Not caught any moths so far. Maybe that’s a good sign (?). Viv.

Attachments

• FB7A4375-DF79-4E8A-B92E-0DF35FA983A3.jpeg
    FB7A4375-DF79-4E8A-B92E-0DF35FA983A3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • C9618E65-F58A-49D8-AA9B-C15AE2E18D05.jpeg
    C9618E65-F58A-49D8-AA9B-C15AE2E18D05.jpeg
    525.4 KB · Views: 5
Good start this morning. Julie opened the door to the outside spare room where the washing machine lives, and this dropped down in front of her onto the rubber mat.
pipbat.jpeg
She put on gloves and picked it up thinking it may be an ex bat, but it showed her its teeth, so she moved it to a shaded space down by my shed. It stayed there for a while then moved off to somewhere else.

Next thing is a fluttering noise in the gazebo, which has mesh sides and zipped entrance.
gazebo.jpeg
Inside was a redstart. Must have crept in under the edge during the night, and couldn't get out again. She caught that gently in cupped hands and released it into the garden. Also a few butterflies, she has a net for that so out they go.

Lots of butterflies about, more than last year, here are a couple of meadowbrowns trying out the lavender.
meadowbrown.jpeg

And just some flowers around the front of the house.
churn.jpeg flowerbox.jpeg

Hot here, we are expecting 41 celsius on Friday. Top level of the pool was 34 yesterday, a bit cooler lower down.

Now to have some stern words with the mole(s) down by my shed.

Andrew.

Good start this morning. Julie opened the door to the outside spare room where the washing machine lives, and this dropped down in front of her onto the rubber mat.
View attachment 171033
She put on gloves and picked it up thinking it may be an ex bat, but it showed her its teeth, so she moved it to a shaded space down by my shed. It stayed there for a while then moved off to somewhere else.

Next thing is a fluttering noise in the gazebo, which has mesh sides and zipped entrance.
View attachment 171034
Inside was a redstart. Must have crept in under the edge during the night, and couldn't get out again. She caught that gently in cupped hands and released it into the garden. Also a few butterflies, she has a net for that so out they go.

Lots of butterflies about, more than last year, here are a couple of meadowbrowns trying out the lavender.
View attachment 171035

And just some flowers around the front of the house.
View attachment 171036 View attachment 171037

Hot here, we are expecting 41 celsius on Friday. Top level of the pool was 34 yesterday, a bit cooler lower down.

Now to have some stern words with the mole(s) down by my shed.

Andrew.
That is some scary bat Andrew. You are wise to be careful with them, they carry all kinds of disease some reckon that`s where covid originated. ( And you wouldn`t want Julie to turn into a vampire )

That is some scary bat Andrew. You are wise to be careful with them, they carry all kinds of disease some reckon that`s where covid originated. ( And you wouldn`t want Julie to turn into a vampire )
Perhaps she should have put it down the mole hole. Who knows what might have emerged after a suitable gestation time. It was a weeny bat, pipistrel we think. There are a large number of possible responses to your bracketed comment, none of which I dare type. She does, however, appreciate your concern, (just keep your neck covered).
Andrew.

Does anyone know why some leaves on plants, especially geraniums turn purple. This is happening to my lobelia and marigolds.

Attachments

• 6A202D64-01B3-4A1D-A09E-14E3A54D3618.jpeg
    6A202D64-01B3-4A1D-A09E-14E3A54D3618.jpeg
    821.3 KB · Views: 13
One more problem. The leaves on my beans are drying and crinkling despite getting plenty of water and are protected from full sun.

Attachments

• 209D0B36-121E-4612-867E-25FCC0F2DA91.jpeg
    209D0B36-121E-4612-867E-25FCC0F2DA91.jpeg
    705.4 KB · Views: 7
i am witnessing the most amazing rainbow out back...the colours are so vivid...my son has taken some photos will get them on later or tomorrow but i suspect they wont do justice..just starting to fade now after at least 15 mins

lyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back