• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

I have been using OneDrive for a few years now and back up my iPhone photos to it. Saves paying apple for iCloud storage space.

I use Gmail so get 15Gb free on Google's Drive. It works but one small thing stops me using it. I have to double click files to open them when my mouse is set to open files with single click ... can't stand having to double click ... :)

I use Gmail so get 15Gb free on Google's Drive. It works but one small thing stops me using it. I have to double click files to open them when my mouse is set to open files with single click ... can't stand having to double click ... :)
oldMohawk, I use gmail. Regarding the double click, a majority of my computer work from 1979 in business has been double click. All of this is NOT Apple based.

In post #1372 last July I joined the Windows Insider program and let Microsoft install Windows 11 and experiment with my laptop. It's been interesting but with 22H2 big updates coming in weekly I'm now looking to leave and Microsoft have me queued for unenrolement sometime later this year ... :grinning:
Untitled.jpg

Some recent Windows 11 security features updates decided my Canon TS5051 printer was a security risk and removed it. I hadn't noticed until I needed a quick print yesterday. I looked at 'Device Manager' and the printer had definitely gone. I keep the printer in a cupboard and looked inside ... the printer was still there ... :grinning:

My 'quick print' turned into an half-hour session of reinstalling the printer and persuading W11 that it was safe.

Some recent Windows 11 security features updates decided my Canon TS5051 printer was a security risk and removed it. I hadn't noticed until I needed a quick print yesterday. I looked at 'Device Manager' and the printer had definitely gone. I keep the printer in a cupboard and looked inside ... the printer was still there ... :grinning:

My 'quick print' turned into an half-hour session of reinstalling the printer and persuading W11 that it was safe.
oldMohawk, I have a new computer on order which should arrive in about 10 days with W11. I will be r7nning this with an existing HP printer about 11/2 years old. Would you expect something like this to happen?

oldMohawk, I have a new computer on order which should arrive in about 10 days with W11. I will be r7nning this with an existing HP printer about 11/2 years old. Would you expect something like this to happen?
Hi Richard,
I think your HP printer will work satisfactorily with Windows 11. With regard to my Canon printer Windows deleted the driver files which to the system signals the 'hardware' is not there although it was actually connected. I had no problems reinstalling the printer and it works perfectly.

I sometimes think that Microsoft create little tests to keep us 'oldies' alert and on our toes ... ;)

Last edited:
One of the best hackers of old tech ** on the internet, Fran Blanche of Fran Labs, pretty much says here what I think about Windows 10!

Not only do you have to hunt to find stuff the view can change from day to day depending on what Microsoft thinks you need to know.

** Not many people have rebuilt an Apollo computer!

i had one of them from a boot sale:) but swapped it next day for a walkman
Back in those days you increased memory (too bad I can’t do for me) buy buying the individual chips and putting them in. The other thing I remember was that the 120 drive was SO noisey! The first time I ran it I wondered if I should oil it.

For the first job I had where I had a small amount of influence, the electronics were components being soldered into veroboard. I changed that to use custom printed circuit boards (PCB), and then persuaded to company to buy me a TRS80. That was used for 'development' work on a 4 bit processor that we incorporated into the equipment. I built a parallel interface that attached to our PCB and programmed some battery backed memory that the processor subsequently executed from. Heady days.

the 120 drive was SO noisey! The first time I ran it I wondered if I should oil it.
Yes, definitely. You would have needed Citroen mineral oil so as not to contaminate the drive hydraulics :imp:.

Andrew.

For the first job I had where I had a small amount of influence, the electronics were components being soldered into veroboard. I changed that to use custom printed circuit boards (PCB), and then persuaded to company to buy me a TRS80. That was used for 'development' work on a 4 bit processor that we incorporated into the equipment. I built a parallel interface that attached to our PCB and programmed some battery backed memory that the processor subsequently executed from. Heady days.

Yes, definitely. You would have needed Citroen mineral oil so as not to contaminate the drive hydraulics :imp:.

Andrew.
:cool:

Maybe I'm the only forum member who likes Windows 11 ... :grinning:

I have the 'normal' 21H2 version in my Desktop PC and an 'insider' experimental 22H2 version in my laptop. I use both versions everyday.

Back