• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gone out of fashion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having just watched the F.A. Cup Final one thing gone out of fashion is the good old community singing prior to kick off. My first experience of this was around 1958 when I went on a trip to Wembley to watch a schoolboy international between England and Scotland.

dont see these much now
It is truly remarkable how quiet their companion air compressors are now.

Hydraulic power made a big change in the machines doing construction work. Something not seen now, but common from Victorian days, are excavators with scissor-action jibs. It probably started with the JCB 'diggers' and then spread larger and larger machines.

1652556668013.png

Having just watched the F.A. Cup Final one thing gone out of fashion is the good old community singing prior to kick off. My first experience of this was around 1958 when I went on a trip to Wembley to watch a schoolboy international between England and Scotland.
Told a friend who works for Ladbrokes this morning, I will not be watching got 0.0 written all over it for me.

No hydraulics but they could do the job
The No 6 Perry Barr tram service ended in 1949 and 4 years later in March 1953 they were taking up the tracks as seen in Birchfield Road.
index.php

I will add grape scissors to this thread as having gone out of fashion, we made them in the Jewellery quarter in the 60s.
Used so that the higher classes were able to cut the stem of the grape instead of, like me,tearing the grape off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back