• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
i passed through perry barr again yesterday and its hard to see how the area will be finished in time but time will tell...also noticed that the pub the 7th trap was in the middle of demolition

lyn

I travelled by bus through Perry Barr by bus on Monday, first time in several years. The congestion was a pain. I remember as a child watching the flyover, the flats on Birchfield Road and the underpass being built in the mid-sixties. Apologies for being negative but I really do think Birmingham City Council has made a huge blunder with this Commonwealth Games vanity project. If any councillors read this thread, here's a reminder of what successful town planning infrastructure looks like...

Perry Barr Flyover.jpg

Apparently someone told me if your coming from the direction of College Road, and carry on into Perry Barr pass the Greyhound stadium you can now turn right there, and go into Perry Barr one stop.

Why on earth they took down the flyover I have no idea, not sure what it achieved.
Everyone I know avoids Perry Barr if they can.
Coming of the M6 and connecting with the A34 at peak times is also a nightmare even before construction of the games began.

The back up traffic you can imagine arriving at Alexander Stadium from any direction will be horrendous.
Have thought about renting our driveway out, thought being the operative word, not doing.

I heard the other day that the Athletes' Village at Perry Barr was cancelled, because it would not have been ready on time and that they will now be housed in three campus villages at The NEC Hotel, Warwick University and Birmingham University. The pandemic was predictably blamed for the delay. So much for demolishing the Birmingham City University buildings and the relatively new flats alongside them, to make way for a centrally located Athletes' Village!

1652181613798.png 1652181855849.png 1652181906096.png

john i travel through perry barr quite a lot and i am pretty certain work was continuing on the athletes village for most of the pandemic....my feeling is its just an excuse for running behind time and of course it has all gone massively over budget....

lyn

john i travel through perry barr quite a lot and i am pretty certain work was continuing on the athletes village for most of the pandemic....my feeling is its just an excuse for running behind time and of course it has all gone massively over budget....

lyn
The Decision to scrap the athletes village was made in 2020 as far as I knew. Housing is still being built and continued for local residents.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-53751630

Its a shame but it is better than the embarrassment of housing not being ready.

Getting closer now... I worked at Birmingham Poly/ UCE/BCU in the now demolished Baker Building (the big red striped, then repainted blue striped block) but moved to the city centre campus five years ago, retiring last year. Not been to Perry Barr since they demolished the flyover. The official games site is here. https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/Birmingham2022
I am not a Birmingham resident, but I sincerely hope the city isn't left with a debt like Sheffield World Student Games which they are still paying off. As the student village won't be built at Perry Barr, I hope they will build some housing. IMI Kynoch site is probably unsuited for housing as it will have been massively contaminated. Fond memories of the Wellhead Tavern. Perry Barr deserves more than a sparkling railway station built for a few weeks but a well planned legacy.

Last edited:
much obliged ell ive been watching the demo for quite a while now..just trust that the entire region around there is tarted up as it truly is a shame to achieve 6500 top notch competitors in addition to every one of the onlookers to this area for what it's worth at the moment...i will take some different photographs one week from now to feature this...there was discussion of the wellhead path transport terminal being destroyed also however this could simply be talesa

I have just discovered that there is no proper car park at Sandwell Aquatic Centre. Everyone will be expected to walk, cycle or go by bus. (Good luck with that!!) Parking restrictions will be in place for residents too. There will be selected coach access.
Sandwell Aquatics Centre Frequently Asked Questions | Sandwell Council
Thanks Rosie, it looks a fabulous pool. Be interesting to see how the public transport works out when the Games are a memory and people want to take their kids to the pool. I was fortunate in having Thimblemill Baths at the bottom of my road. I see they and Langley will close. Of course the purpose of this Aquatic Centre is an elite swimming venue and I can see that athletes will be able to train and compete there in future years. What they call Legacy though is more imponderable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back