• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry lucas school

Perhaps you might get a better view in this close-up view of Defford Road and the park entrance date 1950.
View attachment 157416
As I mentioned in my reply on the 14th May, a smashing photo and I'm wondering if close ups exist for further up Bridge St West off the photo to the left ? About 200 yards to the left is where I lived, right next door to St Saviours Church which was on the corner of BSWest and Villa Street. Further on again was a bomb site which us kids used to play on in the early fifties. It's the nearest the Nazi Luftwaffe got to bombing the Lucas factory which is just off photo to the right. As for the park, there wasn't a blade of grass anywhere - it was all asphalt. I wonder if those trees are still there, because the last time I visited, I forgot to have a look.

As I mentioned in my reply on the 14th May, a smashing photo and I'm wondering if close ups exist for further up Bridge St West off the photo to the left ? About 200 yards to the left is where I lived, right next door to St Saviours Church which was on the corner of BSWest and Villa Street. Further on again was a bomb site which us kids used to play on in the early fifties. It's the nearest the Nazi Luftwaffe got to bombing the Lucas factory which is just off photo to the right. As for the park, there wasn't a blade of grass anywhere - it was all asphalt. I wonder if those trees are still there, because the last time I visited, I forgot to have a look.
Three images below which show St Saviour's Church (not far from the Harry Lucas School ) which might show where your house was . Unfortunately they are near the edges of the camera view so resolution not so high.
View along Bridge St West dated1950
StSaviour_1950.jpg

View of side of the church dated 1950.
2StSaviour_1950.jpg

View of side of the church dated 1948. The camera was not so good and late afternoon so shadows.
StSaviour_1948.jpg
images source 'britainfromabove'

thanks phil that shot also shows my gt nans house..she lived about 3 or 4 doors down from the church in villa st and was there when the photo was taken..looks like shes got washing on the line

lyn

Three images below which show St Saviour's Church (not far from the Harry Lucas School ) which might show where your house was . Unfortunately they are near the edges of the camera view so resolution not so high.
View along Bridge St West dated1950
View attachment 157418

View of side of the church dated 1950.
View attachment 157419

View of side of the church dated 1948. The camera was not so good and late afternoon so shadows.
View attachment 157420
images source 'britainfromabove'
Amazing photos, I can see the row of houses at the side of St Saviours where I was born and lived. It was called 'Cottage Row' and I was born at number 3, living there until I was 8 until the family moved to Northfield. 'Cottage Row' conjures up images of cosy little homes with roses growing around the door. Some hope - they were 2 up two 2 down cramped little houses in two terraces of five, facing each other. Outside toilets and a 'brew house' to do the washing of course. Many thanks for posting these great photos oldMohawk.

Hi, my grandad attended this school and he believes that he left in 67 but isn’t sure. He was in the football team as a goalkeeper and his name is Tony Gardner. Please tell me if you have any photos or any friends if you remember him!
Hi Teresa I remember your grandad Tony.I took over his part time job at Bunting jewellers Hilton Street Hockley.Mr Coates was manager and the two jewellers were Trevor and Bill Please send my best wishes to your grandad

Hello to all my fellow Brummies out there. I'm looking for your help. I went to the Harry Lucas School in 1955 and I wanted to know what was the name of a male teacher there who took form 6. The following year I went up to form 8. I believe he was the main teacher there and his name was Mr. Sheldon who also took music lessons. But it's the teacher that took form 6 whose name escapes me. Can anyone help?

I attended HLS 1960-65. So, did anyone who attended the school go on to achieve greatness? Yes, at least one, Michael Leddy (a classmate). He became Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Chancellor of Birmingham City University (formerly The University of Central England) and is currently MP for Brandwood and Kingsheath Ward.
Mike, if you are out there, why not join the fun with a post?
Link Michael Leddy MP: https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/councillors/78/mike_leddy

A reminder of how the school looked in 1961.......
To the right above the school roof can be seen Joseph Lucas (Gt King St), on Burbury St.
In the centre of the elevation can be seen a tree, this is in the centre of a small quad, the Deputy Head's (in my time Mrs Cadman) office window overlooked this quad and was appropriately known as the deputy head's garden. either side of the quad can be seen the original Boys and Girls entrances.
Occasionally (probably wayward) pupils were press ganged into service for weeding duties at the quad, the only thing that resembled any kind of garden on the school site.

Attachments

• Harry Lucas School Photo comp.jpg
    Harry Lucas School Photo comp.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
HLS existed as a senior school for just 11 years (1958-69), it must be a contender for the title of Shortest Living Birmingham School ever.

Crikey Peg, your memory for all things HLS is astonishing. I can only recall snippets from my five years worth spent there.

I’ve just come across a couple of prize books. One was for form G2, and the other was 2 Alpha. I‘ve forgotten the form naming/numbering scheme. Can you remember?

Hi ya Peg, here is a photo of me with Mike Leddy taken in 2014, what is your proper name PEG ? as i was at Harry Lucas when you were, we may know each other.

Attachments

• mike leddy.jpg
    mike leddy.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 18
Hi ya Peg, here is a photo of me with Mike Leddy taken in 2014, what is your proper name PEG ? as i was at Harry Lucas when you were, we may know each other.
Hi Harry, good to hear from you, I must admit I don't recall your name, some fellow inmates, sorry, pupils I do recall are: Dianne Bennet, John Smith, John Onions, Edward Embley, David Baldock and, of course, Mike Leddy. That was when we were all in the 5th year, Form G3 (there was only one form in the 5th year, at that time), we were based in the library and the teacher was Mr Thomas, a smart Welsh chap (always suit and tie) very much in the image of the headmaster Mr Walker.
(I prefer to keep anonymous these days, H, it helps to keep my pic out of the West Midlands Police Gazette).
PS I've just remembered another name - John Bright, he appeared in a BBC comedy The Choir, anyone remember it? If not I can bore you with the details another time.

Last edited:
Crikey Peg, your memory for all things HLS is astonishing. I can only recall snippets from my five years worth spent there.

I’ve just come across a couple of prize books. One was for form G2, and the other was 2 Alpha. I‘ve forgotten the form naming/numbering scheme. Can you remember?
Can I just say, before I reply, I was lured to the dark side by offers of unimaginable wealth, fast cars and even faster, glamorous..........best not to go there, let's just say I'm back and enjoying the exchange of HLS memories, Enel, regarding the form numbering this is my best shot:
1st year: 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3
2nd year: 2 alpha, 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3
3rd year: G1, T1 and C1
4th year: G2, T2 and C2
5th year: G3 (only 1 form in this year)
The first in the sequence contained the brightest, I think G stood for Grammar, T for Technical and C for Craft.
Caveat (blimey, a Brummie quoting Latin, whatever next?) my recollections are getting on for around 61 years old so treat them as my best endevours, if anyone out there can confirm or amend please do so.
(I mentioned to Mrs M if I do end up in the dock charged with supplying false and/or misleading information my best defence is diminished responsibility, she suggested I stand a better chance with mental incapacity - who am I to argue?)
Stay virus free.
Peg

Last edited:
Im sure you are not wanted by the police Peg, why not give your name ? I am Maxwell James Bullivant, I was at Harry Lucas when you were there, I also went to Gower St, thats how i came up with my Nom De Plume. Who are you ?

That sounds about right. I can remember the term ‘Grammar school stream’ being used, but being an eleven plus failure - I can’t say that it made me feel any better.

I can remember an interview with someone from the Youth Employment Service (this was probably at age 15), and I like many others, was quickly disabused of any fanciful notions of having a career. Factory jobs for the boys, typing for the girls. I seem to remember that the class ‘hardnock’, who had wanted to be a professional footballer, came out crying.

In the end, I did okay I guess, and followed my chosen path, but then I didn’t think that I was aiming that high anyway. Of course most of the kids who went to Grammar schools didn’t go on to University in those days, and I rubbed shoulders with plenty of them during my apprenticeship.

Im sure you are not wanted by the police Peg, why not give your name ? I am Maxwell James Bullivant, I was at Harry Lucas when you were there, I also went to Gower St, thats how i came up with my Nom De Plume. Who are you ?
Hi Max, I'm sure I would have remembered such a posh name, but I'm afraid I don't, I don't think we could have been in the same class/year. Do you remember any of the names I mentioned earlier?
My final year (5th) was Form G3, as mentioned we were based in the library, this can be located in the upper left hand corner of the plan of the school attached.
Caveat (yes another one) I mention on the plan I believed the awful extension on the front of the school was probably built for the opening of the school as a senior school 1958 on the basis that seemed logical as surely a junior school would not need domestic and science labs that the extension housed, be that as it may I saw recently a sky shot of the school dated 1950 showing the extension which blew my theory out of the water - can anyone throw any light on the matter?

Attachments

• Harry Lucas School Plan Issue 3..jpg
    Harry Lucas School Plan Issue 3..jpg
    385 KB · Views: 8
That sounds about right. I can remember the term ‘Grammar school stream’ being used, but being an eleven plus failure - I can’t say that it made me feel any better.

I can remember an interview with someone from the Youth Employment Service (this was probably at age 15), and I like many others, was quickly disabused of any fanciful notions of having a career. Factory jobs for the boys, typing for the girls. I seem to remember that the class ‘hardnock’, who had wanted to be a professional footballer, came out crying.

In the end, I did okay I guess, and followed my chosen path, but then I didn’t think that I was aiming that high anyway. Of course most of the kids who went to Grammar schools didn’t go on to University in those days, and I rubbed shoulders with plenty of them during my apprenticeship.
I had a similar experience, I wanted to be an architect but the careers advisor poured cold water on that idea.

Back