• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Motorcycle Shops

Hi, I'm new to the forum, spotted this thread when I was looking for info on a couple of old school bike dealers.
I have a background in the trade, I worked at MCA (Aston) Ltd for 10 years from 1977. Great days, lots of dealers still open, the mainstays like Vale Onslow, Gray's, Copes, Fred Hanks etc plus the smaller shops like Perry Barr MCs, Kingstanding MCs et al.
I bought my first bike, a BSA Bantam, from Bob Joyner's on the Wolverhampton Road in 78. Anyone have memories of wee Bob's emporium or MCA?
Just catching up, I also worked at MCA, started in 1963 for3 years. Brian

I worked for MCA ( Motor Cycle Accessories) in 1963 Mr. Mason was the Boss, Albert was the van driver but it was also a part of Aston Autos, They let me buy a Leather Jacket ,with tassles, for £5 and a Triumph Tiger Cub for £5 on easy terms as an employee. Derek Timms worked on the scooter repair side and also rode for Cradley Speedway and the first Honda's arrived, Step through,Dream & Benley but we didn't think they would ever catch on!!!!!!!! The silencers and racks were chromed at a little place on Aston Road. Fred Hanks on Slade road were well known for the TT races ,Fred, Norman, Roy. It seems like yesterday
MCA rings a bell. Where was it please?

I was at Copes on Hagley Road late 60s. I remember Steve Gough in the spares department but cannot remember the name of the spares manager, Gordon something. Can anyone assist please?

I was at Copes on Hagley Road late 60s. I remember Steve Gough in the spares department but cannot remember the name of the spares manager, Gordon something. Can anyone assist please?
I bought a Suzuki 100 from Copes in 1971 - YHA94J - we must have just missed each other Vic!
Passed test at Quinton test centre on the Suzuki and then bought a new Honda CB350 from ?Sherwood motorcycles (think that's correct) - they were in Shirley, tiny showroom from memory but were Honda franchisees.

I seem to remember a motorcycle spares shop at the bottom of Watery lane, almost on the corner with Lawley street. I think it was called 'Motorcycle Equipment' (M.C.E).

Hi, I'm new to the forum, spotted this thread when I was looking for info on a couple of old school bike dealers.
I have a background in the trade, I worked at MCA (Aston) Ltd for 10 years from 1977. Great days, lots of dealers still open, the mainstays like Vale Onslow, Gray's, Copes, Fred Hanks etc plus the smaller shops like Perry Barr MCs, Kingstanding MCs et al.
I bought my first bike, a BSA Bantam, from Bob Joyner's on the Wolverhampton Road in 78. Anyone have memories of wee Bob's emporium or MCA?
Long time I know but I worked at MCA in 1963?? George Adcock was manager ( ex Premier) let me know if you get this, Brian

I bought a Suzuki 100 from Copes in 1971 - YHA94J - we must have just missed each other Vic!
Passed test at Quinton test centre on the Suzuki and then bought a new Honda CB350 from ?Sherwood motorcycles (think that's correct) - they were in Shirley, tiny showroom from memory but were Honda franchisees.
I left Copes in 1970 but very impressed with Japanese motorcycles. The writing was on the wall for the British motorcycle industry. I particularly remember the Honda CB92 125cc. A work of art and still are. I'm told they can fetch at least £6000 in good condition these days. The Suzuki 100 was faster than British 200 and 250s and far more reliable.

Back