• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Motorcycle Shops

Hi. I had a Saturday job at Halfords in Acocks Green at the tail end of school, so about 1967. There was a fairly large Vale-Onslow just up the road, walking distance. Had my Lambretta LD motd there once while working. Andrew.

Hi. I had a Saturday job at Halfords in Acocks Green at the tail end of school, so about 1967. There was a fairly large Vale-Onslow just up the road, walking distance. Had my Lambretta LD motd there once while working. Andrew.
In 1967 Halfords was at 1131-33 Warwick Road (Now the Post Office!), 1145 was the Red Lion, and possibly Vale-Onslow you refer to was C & D Autos at 1193-99 Warwick Road ?
I also note the Nationwide Building Society at 1137 Warwick Road permanently closed on 16th September 2021!

C and D Autos 1950s.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks. C and D would be in the right place. I have to worry now why the mention of Vale-Onslow produced that immediate memory of mine. Did they take over the premises at some time ? Does my memory bank need a service ? Andrew

Thanks. C and D would be in the right place. I have to worry now why the mention of Vale-Onslow produced that immediate memory of mine. Did they take over the premises at some time ? Does my memory bank need a service ? Andrew
i think it was always there, it moved to
Tracy Farm Redditch Rd, Ullenhall, Henley-In-Arden, B95 5NY
be carefull if you search online for them i just got this warning..

Attachments

• Screenshot (176).png
    Screenshot (176).png
    472.6 KB · Views: 11
Not quite Birmingham but reading 1921 census information I find
Thomas Rowe - occupation; motorcycle agent at - 1 Hagley Road, Halesowen.
I know it is a long shot but does anyone have a photograph or additional information?

maybe a bit modern for some but there was a dealers at the Fox & Goose, Superbikes on Bristol Road by the ford dealers, one in Stirchley by the bowling alley, solihull by the ice ring, not sure of the names but sure someone will.
yes it was kings of birmingham, went to the one by the fox and goose a lot.

Hi,

Was that the dealers in the middle of the row of shops at the beginning of
Coleshill Road where they usually had Laverdas in the window?

Kind regards
Dave
yes it was op side to the BEAUFORT CINEMA,and a shop around the corner in bromford lane and i think they had one on bromford lane/drews lane.

From memory one of these shops used to sell motor bikes, possibly the end one. It’s on Aldridge Road, Perry Barr opposite the Park. Some of the houses to the left were also shops at one time. This was until at least the 1970s. Viv.

C29642E0-78B3-436E-840A-5D34C1BD3B22.jpeg

I worked for MCA ( Motor Cycle Accessories) in 1963 Mr. Mason was the Boss, Albert was the van driver but it was also a part of Aston Autos, They let me buy a Leather Jacket ,with tassles, for £5 and a Triumph Tiger Cub for £5 on easy terms as an employee. Derek Timms worked on the scooter repair side and also rode for Cradley Speedway and the first Honda's arrived, Step through,Dream & Benley but we didn't think they would ever catch on!!!!!!!! The silencers and racks were chromed at a little place on Aston Road. Fred Hanks on Slade road were well known for the TT races ,Fred, Norman, Roy. It seems like yesterday

Back