• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Teddy Sandfords cafe smethwick

Hi Pam have a look at this thread i have posted some info here. https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33568

Hi Wendy thankyou:), have you tried going to the actual West Bromwich Albion ground and see what info they have on your great grandfather?? im sure they would have pictures on the walls in there, i havn`t been there myself to see but i have emailed them on the info of Teddy Sandford and my grandad as they do have someone there thats deals with the history side :)

Hi Pam I did contact a chap who was doing some research for the club on it's history but he said he couldn't find anything so I may have more info than him. I have never been to West Bromwich Albion but I know my mothers family were big supporters. It seems they were in touch as my grandmother was Thomas Smiths daughter. In the post below from my brother John it seems Teddy lived opposite her. From what my brother said he used to ask my uncles for lifts to the cafe. My uncles were both butchers at their fathers shop in West Brom. I now wonder if there was a later connection to the club maybe my grandfather Jim Caldecott. Phew I wish I could talk to just one of them.....

Here is a link to some more info about Teddy, https://www.westbromwichalbionhistory.co.uk/page50.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
If i remember right there was a Cafe just up the B,ham Rd from the Albion.In the late 50s the buses used to stop outside it . It was the terminus stop and if you were going further towards W.Brom you had to pay again.would this be the one or was it the one higher up the road opposite the Island garage.Dek

HI
If you walked out of Halfords Lane at the junction of Birmingham Road, on your right you would have the Albion ground. Walk to the end of the Albion ground and there would be a row of houses and shops. The first or second premises was the cafe owned by Teddy Sandford. I remember, as you walked through the door, right in front of you were the tables and chairs and beyond them was the counter. On the counter there was a big stainless Scott boiler, next to this was a tray of mugs that he would fill with tea from a huge metal teapot. He was a big man who used to hold himself up by resting his hands on the counter. A friend told me that Teddy had bad legs through playing too much football. How do I know all this? I went to school at Sandwell secondary modern and the school meals were rubbish. I would go to Sandfords or across the road to the Bou ndary Cafe, but the food at Sandfords was much better.
ron

HI
If you walked out of Halfords Lane at the junction of Birmingham Road, on your right you would have the Albion ground. Walk to the end of the Albion ground and there would be a row of houses and shops. The first or second premises was the cafe owned by Teddy Sandford. I remember, as you walked through the door, right in front of you were the tables and chairs and beyond them was the counter. On the counter there was a big stainless Scott boiler, next to this was a tray of mugs that he would fill with tea from a huge metal teapot. He was a big man who used to hold himself up by resting his hands on the counter. A friend told me that Teddy had bad legs through playing too much football. How do I know all this? I went to school at Sandwell secondary modern and the school meals were rubbish. I would go to Sandfords or across the road to the Bou ndary Cafe, but the food at Sandfords was much better.
ron
Hi Ron, awwwww thankyou for sharing these memories:) , have you any pictures at all? as you can see by reading this thread my grand dad and father visited this cafe often mayb you may remember them my grand dad Charles Jones was a very big bloke and did scouting for the albion and the villa also sold tickets outside the ground lol.

hi pam
sorry but it was a long time ago I was just a school kid, and I wasnt interested in football (allways liked rugby league) so I was somewhat of a black sheep,all I remember is that it was a lot cleaner than the boundary cafe witch was a wooden shed before they rebuilt it after I left school 1964 and that teddy sandford was a lot more pleasant than the bloke over the road
ron

In the early 60's we used to signwrite all the Ansells pubs,there was one just before the cafe coming away from Brum, we used the cafe for 3 days while we were doing the pub,(can't remember the name of it)
We also did the big curved stand sign in the ground for M and B.

I went to Great Barr a couple of weeks ago and tried to spot Teddy's house. My grandmothers is no longer there it was knocked down along with the garage. I was pretty sure it's a large white house on the corner of the road. It is on the Queslett Road though.

Last edited by a moderator:
My nan was teddy sandfords sister, I remember going in cafe when first started going up the Albion with my dad.
you had jones sweet shop as well, who were also relatives

Bdz9998
Which Sandford sister was it Annie or Martha would be interested to find out more about your connection

My names Kieran Sandford, and I'm Teddy's grandson. I would love any information or photos any of you have on Teddy or Lily, would be much appreciated.
Hi.Just came across this thread.Teddy's sister violet was my nan.Do you remember her?

What an interesting thread. Although my connection to the Albion was much earlier my gt grandfather being the first club secretery. I now have an interest in the history of the club and it's players.

John these are lovely photo's.
Both my Dad and my son, had trials for The Baggies. My dad, was Harry Taylor, and he played for HANDSWORTH WEDNESDAY, and that is where he was spotted for a tr-out with them. Sadly the war interveened. My son Mark was playing for LUCAS FC and had a trial at Spring Road, under Roy Horobin, sadly he had the old tap on the shoulder, and that was that.But my dad often spoke of Teddy.

Back