• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Maypole Memories

B

BernardR

Noticed we have a few members who lived at or near The Maypole so thought it best to start a thread for them.

I lived in Stotfold Road for about 2 years moving out in 1968. My sister lives on Druids Heath but my memories of Druids Heath pre-date this as our Dad would drive past the prefabs to get to The Lickey's. He used to tell how the gates to the old farmyard would be locked after a certain time when he was younger meaning he would have to turn the horse and trap around and go the longer way around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bernard, a site all to ourselves !

Yes streamboy, a small world too.
Seeing as you got nine bob a week you must be around my age. I started at Westwoods when I was 13.
I don't know which I dreaded most, Fridays with the big fat "Mail" and the Radio Times, or the Sunday papers.
When I got a new bike I needed more cash to pay for the HP so I got a job in Kings Heath as an errand kid, they paid me ten bob a week !

Hello Bernard,

Stotfold Road rings a bell but cannot quite pinpoint it, My excuse ???? my memory is older than yours !!!! Betty

When I started working in Kings Norton in 1967 the Alcester Road/Maypole Lane junction was just a cross-roads. Approaching along Maypole Lane from Solihull there was a slope upto Alcester Road which was invariably covered in gravel/loose chippings so that even if there was a gap in the traffic it was impossible to effect a quick take-off to cross the traffic due to wheel spin. This resulted in long tailbacks often as far as Highters Heath Lane and beyond. It proved quicker to miss the Maypole all together and go via Yardley Wood Road/Warstock Road/Broad Lane.

Stotfold Road runs parallel to and is the next one to, Maypole Lane at Maypole Betty. Runs off The Alcester Road.

I think that as a gateway to Birmingham the modern Maypole is a disgrace. It looks like someone has piled up a load of boxes and covered them in Formica. I much preferred the old Maypole before modern day planners got their hands on it.

Attachments

• Maypole The Maypole.jpg
    Maypole The Maypole.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Maypole Maypole Inn c1950 .jpg
    Maypole Maypole Inn c1950 .jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 83
Hello Bernard,

Is Maypole Lane the road that takes you to Solihull ???

I used to live in a road by the Prince of Wales public house and I have forgotten the name
of that road as well???

Think I need a lie down ??? it was only in the 80s. I remember it was a very long road
and I used to walk down to catch the 18A. bus to go to Monyhull. Where I worked.
Betty.

I think that as a gateway to Birmingham the modern Maypole is a disgrace. It looks like someone has piled up a load of boxes and covered them in Formica. I much preferred the old Maypole before modern day planners got their hands on it.

Looks like the Smiths Crisps wagon is making a delivery at the outdoor.

There seems to be an attachment on the rear wheel of that bus.
Can anybody make it out ?

Hello Bernard,

Is Maypole Lane the road that takes you to Solihull ???

I used to live in a road by the Prince of Wales public house and I have forgotten the name
of that road as well???

Think I need a lie down ??? it was only in the 80s. I remember it was a very long road
and I used to walk down to catch the 18A. bus to go to Monyhull. Where I worked.
Betty.
Yes Betty Maypole Lane runs into High Street, Solihull Lodge than on through Shirley to Solihull.

Bernard

PS See Private Message.

I remember the Maypole when I worked for Mr Shipman at his stable. I used to catch two buses the 39a and 50 then he would pick me up from the Maypole and take me to much out the horses etc.

Anyone remember the pig farm (I think it was in the area where Millpool Gardens is now) burning down? Seem to remember it was in the late 60s.

I've only ever travelled through Maypole and when I see it mentioned I always think of the first pic showing Brum's most nonchalant bus conductor leaning near the island by Druids Lane. In the second pic sixty years later I had a look from above and it looks nice, the house behind the bus is still there but is now an office, and there are fields and countryside out of shot on the left and a famous grocer has set up business on the right.
index.php

iPadpic.jpg

Last edited:
Speedy I remember a chicken farm going up in flames on the way to Portway round about 1964/5. Lovely photo's Mowhawk. Thanks.

Anyone remember the pig farm (I think it was in the area where Millpool Gardens is now) burning down? Seem to remember it was in the late 60s.

Millpool Gardens ? That's a new one on me.
That had me diving for my old A-Z.
In my memory that area was covered in prefabs.
I've DEFINITELY been away too long !

The pig farm was on the opposite side of the canal to Millpool Gardens, it was between the canal towpath and Bayston Road, it's still a field.

Colin

From your description I think Stotfold Road must be where I took my driving test. There was a row of shops laid back from the road
and the test centre was one of them. For my three point turn he took me to a road where the camber was like going up a hill sideways!!!!!
The road I lived in was of course Yardley Wood Road. { I even remembered the number??? } The flat I lived in came under Solihull
Council but the one 2 doors away came under Birmingham. I almost lived in no mans land. I have also remembered a road at the side
of the Prince of Wales pub which went towards a sort of small park with a pool and I think there was a club nearby.Also, was there
a ford or somesuch which you had to drive through.
The mind is an amazing thing !!! I have remembered all this just by asking you about Stotfold Road. { Point of interest, why is it that each
time I type Stotfold Road a red wiggly line pops up??}
Betty.

The pig farm was on the opposite side of the canal to Millpool Gardens, it was between the canal towpath and Bayston Road, it's still a field.

Colin

Thanks Colin,
I do remember there were some ramshackle-looking buildings that could be seen from the road.

I've only ever travelled through Maypole and when I see it mentioned I always think of the first pic showing Brum's most nonchalant bus conductor leaning near the island by Druids Lane. In the second pic sixty years later I had a look from above and it looks nice, the house behind the bus is still there but is now an office, and there are fields and countryside out of shot on the left and a famous grocer has set up business on the right.
index.php

Hi there, great photo. My dad lived in Orcheston Close at the Maypole in the 1950s. Do you think the photo is from the 1950s or later?

Back