• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Tonight we have 275 Dudley Road in 1974, Harris Cleaning on the corner - not sure what was left inside - if you look closely there are louvres and vents on most windows. Fine street lamp in Heath Green Lane. Looking down Dudley Road there is a Citreon projecting sign, and on the road, a fine BR Scammel lorry and container ( yellow in colour) and a large Transit van behind it.

275 Dudley Road - 74.jpg

284 Stratford Road 1974, proper open bus shelter , Moss galleries with a fine leaded window in the door, Iron mongers with a fine selection of tools in the window, love to study those shops, and next to that another rarity a record shop, offering 8 track cassettes!!
Above street level there is a bay window , funny how the guttering goes across the windows on the second floor and a fine point and finial to the eaves.
284 Stratford Road - 74.jpg

289 Golden Hillock Road / Walford Road, not really a shop view although there is an interesting view of the shops layout, which seems to have a lot more windows than you would imagine. The rear view also shows the classic terrace backs although the house three doors down has lost its chimney. Vauxhall Viva on the road with an early Datsun in front of it I believe.

289 Golden Hillock Road - 74.jpg

292 Lichfield Road Sutton Coldfield in 1975, just round the corner from me - very much a picture of two halves, from the passageway left has now been rebuild, the right hand side remains the same but different, the supermarket is now two shops, at the rear of the passage the Nat West is now an Indian restaurant. A fine selection of cars out front, much like today no room to park !!

292 Lichfield Road  SC - 75.jpg

284 Stratford Road 1974, proper open bus shelter , Moss galleries with a fine leaded window in the door, Iron mongers with a fine selection of tools in the window, love to study those shops, and next to that another rarity a record shop, offering 8 track cassettes!!
Above street level there is a bay window , funny how the guttering goes across the windows on the second floor and a fine point and finial to the eaves.
View attachment 168188
Pharmacy Practice is 282. Some guttering has been removed from over the windows.
1646255013739.png

A historic view over the markets area of Digbeth - from what I've heard looking like it today with vast areas of emptiness.
A zoom and scroll shows lots of places of interest - you can just make of the back to backs , a court of house here and pub there and plenty of ad hoc car parks - progress they call it !!

Test207 1.jpg

Tonight we have 275 Dudley Road in 1974, Harris Cleaning on the corner - not sure what was left inside - if you look closely there are louvres and vents on most windows. Fine street lamp in Heath Green Lane. Looking down Dudley Road there is a Citreon projecting sign, and on the road, a fine BR Scammel lorry and container ( yellow in colour) and a large Transit van behind it.

View attachment 168187
Still a street lamp in Heath Green Road but very ordinary. Pelican crossng instead of zebra.

Attachments

• 275 Dudley Road - 2021.JPG
    275 Dudley Road - 2021.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 15
137 New Street in 1976, a mixture of fashion outlets- Hepworths and Milletts, and above Raymond with his school of beauty, and a fine selection of fashion on the pavement.View attachment 154009
I used to frequent the Tennessee pancake house quite often in 1975 to 77. Loved a fruit pancake with cream and chocolate sauce. This is the first pic I have seen of its existence, thoughts I was imaging it ever being their...thank you for the memory Steve.

289 Golden Hillock Road / Walford Road, not really a shop view although there is an interesting view of the shops layout, which seems to have a lot more windows than you would imagine. The rear view also shows the classic terrace backs although the house three doors down has lost its chimney. Vauxhall Viva on the road with an early Datsun in front of it I believe.

View attachment 168190
Steve posted the front view of this shop a while ago - here it is again to refresh your memories
Plus current view

Attachments

• 289 Golden Hillock Road.jpg
    289 Golden Hillock Road.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 289 Golden Hillock (side) 2021.JPG
    289 Golden Hillock (side) 2021.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 23
292 Lichfield Road Sutton Coldfield in 1975, just round the corner from me - very much a picture of two halves, from the passageway left has now been rebuild, the right hand side remains the same but different, the supermarket is now two shops, at the rear of the passage the Nat West is now an Indian restaurant. A fine selection of cars out front, much like today no room to park !!

View attachment 168191
3 photos showing the building on the left still there, building work (2015) and a 2019 view. Couldn't use 2020 as part of the view pixellated out (if that is the rght phrase).

Attachments

• 292 Lichfield Road  SC - 2012.JPG
    292 Lichfield Road SC - 2012.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 292 Lichfield Road  SC - 2015.JPG
    292 Lichfield Road SC - 2015.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 292 Lichfield Road  SC - 2019.JPG
    292 Lichfield Road SC - 2019.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 23
as time goes by and I upload more and more picture I am sure to duplicate some pictures, or I have looked at them not uploaded them but thought I had- I will throw out the apology in advance as I have managed to do quite well so far !!

As we are starting to run low on shops I thought I would drop some colour slides in for a change
First up tonight is a shot down Hagley Road towards Five Ways and the start of the island, very much a mix of old and new with the Oratory in the foreground and an office block going up further back. This picture needs to be viewed on a larger screen if only to be able to study the picture better. The top of the church tower in the front and the angle of the row of buildings from bottom left diagonal and the construction of the Middleway which seems to peter out. You also get an idea of the swing of Hagley Road onto Broad Street which bends around to the left.

Test360 1.jpg

This is the rear view of an anonymous row of terraced house - which I would be hard pushed to locate as there are no real clues. Another picture to study as there are so many different window style, rear extensions and locations of the chimney with some properties having more than on chimney stack. There are also a variety of building at the bottom of what passes for a garden.

Test293.jpg

Next we have an almost unrecognizable picture of Victoria Square, which judging by the colour of Victoria she would not have been amused. Fine flower beds at the bottom of the column and plenty of grass to relax on and not a floozie in sight. Taken from the location of the Iron man the general view remains unchanged, apart from the lack of traffic, you can just make out bus stops on the left and traffic lights on the right and the blind on the shop at the top of New Street. You also note the direction of traffic in the background, not sure if it is two way or just reversed to todays layout.

Test311 1.jpg

Looking like an architects model an overview of the start of the construction of the Rotunda and surrounding area. Nice colour roofs of the stall in the market and plenty of Midland Red buses about. You can see the layout of the Odeon cinema and what was in place before the ramp to the station was built, talking of which you can see the amazing curve of the high numbered platforms with their canopies, and the building on the frontage and the road through the middle.
Manzoni Gardens have not been built and a fine selection of Scammel trucks in the yard at Moor Street Station.
Rackhams is under construction and on the extreme right the old building are in place

Test436 1.jpg

as time goes by and I upload more and more picture I am sure to duplicate some pictures, or I have looked at them not uploaded them but thought I had- I will throw out the apology in advance as I have managed to do quite well so far !!

As we are starting to run low on shops I thought I would drop some colour slides in for a change
First up tonight is a shot down Hagley Road towards Five Ways and the start of the island, very much a mix of old and new with the Oratory in the foreground and an office block going up further back. This picture needs to be viewed on a larger screen if only to be able to study the picture better. The top of the church tower in the front and the angle of the row of buildings from bottom left diagonal and the construction of the Middleway which seems to peter out. You also get an idea of the swing of Hagley Road onto Broad Street which bends around to the left.

View attachment 168271
This has to be probably 1960ish. The second road on the left could be Monument Road

This may be repeat, but I am sure you will forgive me!!

A view of Birmingham at the start of the rebuilding, there is a hole where the Rotunda would be and Smallbrook Ringway is only half the road. New Street Station hasn't been boxed in and Bull Ring and the associated shops and market is also still a space. There are also a number of significant gaps as well as building still standing that are not there now.

Test206 1.jpg

Next we have Bristol Road looking all new and shiny everything looking like the ideas the council had for inner city redevelopment. Following Bristol Street into the city, the Night club had not been built and only the first few floors of the tower blocks on the island had been built. The Rotunda had been finished but a look around shows empty space still and scars where roads are yet to go.

Test201 1.jpg

another view of a landmark which has very different surroundings today, Lewis's as we know and the blinds are down, but no sunken shops within the island . Where Midland Education was there are still the original buildings looking much nicer , and the other block of shops on Corporation Street looking rather lonely. To the left we have the block including the Gaumont and then to Colmore Row with Snow Hill station looking magnificent. A close look shows something I didn't realise , see the bus just about to enter the Mineries imagine the exhaust even though it was open to the skies then.

Test210 1.jpg

Next up same location but different view, and here we have a great sense of what has been lost - take time to get you bearings, Nelson Statue and the market Bottom left and Moor Street Station along the bottom edge, and the scar of the under pass / flyover heading out, and a nice grass island in front of the Fire Station.
It is the amount of building that have been lost amazes me come down Bull Street to High Street and Carrs Lane the amount of building that are just not there and to think we lost those for what is there today !!

Test212 1.jpg

To finish a street scene which I don't know but a few company names for you to work on. Percy T Gray and co in front of us and a fine coloured building to the right, see the window boxes. There is only one car so perhaps a Sunday, note that there are no yellow lines, parking meters of unnecessary signs or adverts anywhere to be seen There are a few rows of coble sets so perhaps they are still there under the tarmac. Test221.jpg

To finish a street scene which I don't know but a few company names for you to work on. Percy T Gray and co in front of us and a fine coloured building to the right, see the window boxes. There is only one car so perhaps a Sunday, note that there are no yellow lines, parking meters of unnecessary signs or adverts anywhere to be seen There are a few rows of coble sets so perhaps they are still there under the tarmac. View attachment 168342
Percy T.Gray & Son were at 53 Regent Place. Still there as seen below

Cannot find a Bean Whitehead or a C Lamb & sons in Google in UK. I agree it does not look like Brum

Test241 1.jpg

Last edited:
Next we have Bristol Road looking all new and shiny everything looking like the ideas the council had for inner city redevelopment. Following Bristol Street into the city, the Night club had not been built and only the first few floors of the tower blocks on the island had been built. The Rotunda had been finished but a look around shows empty space still and scars where roads are yet to go.

View attachment 168338

St. Luke's Church still there, but the cascading windows on the opposite side of the road gone !

Back